Husband and Father

Husband and Father
July 15, 1958 ~ August 25, 2008

Friday, August 21, 2009

Memorial Day

Memorial Day has arrived. I was so happy to see Steve's headstone completed and installed just a couple weeks prior. There is a picture hanging in our den that Steve purchased when we were newly weds. It is one of his favorites. It is a picture of the Salt Lake Temple on a beautiful hill. I always had this picture in the back of my mind when I was designing Steve's headstone. I was so pleased to see the incredible resemblance. I hope he likes his headstone as much as he liked this picture.

When Steve passed away, we had not purchased a burial plot. When it came time to choose a plot, the only thing that I was sure of, was that I wanted us to have burial plots in the Salt Lake Cemetery. The Salt Lake Cemetery is where church prophets, and many other distinguished men and women are buried. I knew that is where he belonged.

Steve's parents were kind enough to choose our plots. When I went to purchase them they took me up to view them. It couldn't have been more perfect. The statue of the "weeping widow" is directly to the east of it. How appropriate, she displays just how I feel. The plot also has a beautiful view of the Salt Lake Valley. It is surrounded by large pine trees, and other beautiful elements of nature. To top it all off, in between the stunning trees you can see the big U on the hill.

I always wanted Steve's grave-site to be a place where the kids are comfortable, or at least not afraid of. I am aware of the tender feelings that surface as you visit. I have always asked the kids what they wanted to do when they visit their dad's grave on various holidays or occasions. Today the kids wanted to bring flowers, and spend time sharing funny stories and memories of their dad. I think Steve would have liked that. He always had a fun sense of humor. The kids have such fond memories of their dad. It was a tender moment.


0 comments: