Husband and Father

Husband and Father
July 15, 1958 ~ August 25, 2008

Monday, August 24, 2009

Heart Wrenching

One year ago today, my husband passed away. The only way to describe this day is heart wrenching. I feel like my heart is broke in a million little pieces. I thought I would have made significant progress with grieving after one year, but I guess instead I've learned that grieving will never end. Hopefully, I will learn to manage it. Time is my friend, but it will never completely heal my pain.

I can vividly remember the details of the night Steve passed away. This past month has been filled with memories of that day. Sometimes it is something I wear, certain smells, music, driving past the hospital, or an ambulance driving down the street. I will never forget the sheer terror of that night. I am grateful to all our friends and family that helped us through such difficult times.

I am fortunate to have a belief and understanding of the gospel. It brightens the darker days, and gives me hope for a better tomorrow. I love the scripture, "Be patient in afflictions, for thou shalt have many: but endure them, for, lo, I am with thee, even unto the end of thy days." I know my Heavenly Father is watching over us, and is there to give us comfort and peace.

I also know Steve is still with us. There have been times when we have felt his presence so strongly. We have woke in the middle of the night being prompted by him to do certain things. We know he is near. He has helped me through trials that I didn't want to go through alone. I felt his presence and guidance.

Ben said a few months after Steve died, "Mom, you know I could have talked at dad's funeral. I could have told everyone what a great dad he was and that he used to play ball with me." With tears streaming down my face, I told Ben that we all could have talked, but we were too sad. We all had wonderful things to say about Dad. He said, "Well, I probably would have cried too."

I am hoping to get to the temple today. I always feel close to Steve there. To know that I am sealed to my husband and children for eternity is one of my greatest blessings in life.

9 comments:

lauren said...

i'm thinking about you guys today. and love you all.

Stefanie and Jeff said...

Cindy
I am thinking of you your family and of course Sarah today! Please let me know if there is anything I can do.

Anonymous said...

We just love you and your family. Jeff and I are thinking of you guys. I look up to you and your family for the strength and faith you guys have. You are in our prayers. We love you! We loved him!

Jeff May said...

Cindy,

Honestly, it seems like it has been 10 years instead of just one. There is rarely a day that goes by that I don't think of Steve for one reason or another. Outside of my own family he had more infulence and blessed my life more than anyone else. I miss him a lot too. I look up to you and your family, how you have dealt with the situation and the great faith and strenght you have shown. If any of you need anything at all we are always around and would love to help. We love you guys and are praying for you.

Jeff

MOM THE BOMB said...

I've thought of you all day. I tried calling, but you were probably in the temple. I hope you were able to find comfort there. I love you!

AshtonFamilyHappenings said...

I'm thinking of you today Cindy. Love you.

Meg said...

Love you Cindy! I've been thinking about you guys all week and I hope you guys are doing ok. You guys are an amazing family!

Emily Hamilton said...

All of you are so strong! We are thinking of you all this week. This brought tears to my eyes. You have such a wonderful family! We will always remember Steve. He was an amazing man. We're praying for you!

Unknown said...

Beautifully written Cindy. You are a strong person. A great mom. You are in my prayers. love,