Husband and Father

Husband and Father
July 15, 1958 ~ August 25, 2008

Monday, August 24, 2009

Boat Wreck On Chokecherry

Steve was always so meticulous with the boat. He would spend hours cleaning it, waxing it, and maintaining it. He would notice ever smudge and scratch, and do everything to avoid them. When you entered the boat, well, you know the rules: don't step on the seats; don't get crumbs in the boat; no feet up; don't let the ski touch the sides of the boat or the seats; and for heaven sakes don't spill. I guess that is why our boat still looks like new.

The day after Steve passed away Ben said, "Now who is going to take us boating." I know it was his way of expressing his sadness about his dad, but I also knew, somehow, I needed to figure out how to operate the boat.

I decided before going to Flaming Gorge to learn how to manage the boat. Tommy, from The Single's Ward, had offered to assist me with the boat, so I gave him a call. Tommy was very patient instructing me on wide corners, watching the dips, never stopping fast, and other important boat procedures. We drove around for quite some time practicing. I was real nervous at first, but after awhile I adjusted.

I was in the process of backing the boat into our driveway, when Tommy said, "Let me turn it around for you to back it at a different angle and make it easier for you." Tommy and Katelyn pulled the boat onto the flat section of Chokecherry Drive. Michael and I were watching in the driveway. I heard a very loud, strange, noise, and soon Katelyn came running up and said, "come quick." The trailer hitch had completely come out, the boat (on the trailer) had skidded along the street making lovely divots in the nice new asphalt.

Wow! what a sight. The boat had gently collided with the back of our beautiful red truck (another one of Steve's prized possessions). Good thing Tommy was driving, that it was on a flat road, and that he knew not to slam on the brakes. Yikes!

Tommy was very patient, bent all the metals back in their position, and reattached the hitch to the truck. The boat made it back to it's resting place in our driveway, thanks to Tommy.

We know what the problem was, but, to avoid embarrassing anyone I won't say. I was so grateful that Tommy, the boat expert, was with us for our first boating adventure.

So, if you ever pass 1800 and Chokecherry and see a "little divot" in the new asphalt, well, I might know something about that.






3 comments:

eden said...

I always say, you don't really own something until it has a dent in it! Now you own that truck and that street baby!

Foster Mom said...

Cindy, that is such a great story! I'm glad you learned all the 'ropes' of the boat, Flaming Gorge was fun!!

Suzie said...

I never heard that story...but in all honesty, I remember noticing the "little scratch" in the road and wondering what caused it. Now I know!!

Good for you for taking on the boat!