Husband and Father

Husband and Father
July 15, 1958 ~ August 25, 2008

Thursday, February 2, 2012

The Principal's Office

Lately dinner conversation has been very enlightening. Last night I heard Ben tell his married siblings that he had been to the principal’s office two times in one week for saying, “BYU is gay.” “What?” I said sharply trying to conceal my smile. “Why didn’t I receive a call from the principal?” I exclaimed. Silence.


I think if this had been my first child being sent to the principal’s office multiple times, I would have gone to my room, curled up in the fetal position, and begin sobbing. Well, maybe I’m exaggerating a little, but point being my parenting skills are a little lax lately. I know I shouldn’t smile, or start laughing when my child gets in trouble.


I do not condone the word ‘gay’, but if I was a lawyer mom I might say, “Well Ben was referring to BYU being in Happy Valley.” Doesn’t gay mean happy anyway (just kidding cougs). Speaking of cougars, last week I heard on the radio that they are trying to ban the word cougar, so they won’t offend women dating younger men. Wow! Sorry Demi!


Back to the issue. I thought it was a little harsh to send someone to the principal’s office for saying, “BYU is gay.” Maybe he should have received punishment by his teacher, not the principal. I think pulling a card, staying in for recess, or writing 50 times I will not say BYU is gay is more appropriate.


In Kindergarten Ben said, “BYU stinks.” His teacher mildly reprimanded him, and the issue was over. I understand that they don’t want the kids to instigate college rivalries that cause hurt feelings among other elementary school students, but are we going a little too far here?


Ben was also sent to the principal’s office last week for wearing shorts to school. The new school policy is that if there is snow on the ground, shorts and skirts are not allowed. So last week when the temperature was in the 50’s and snow was on the ground, shorts were not allowed.


I have begged Ben to wear long pants, but he claims, “It’s too hot.” The last time he had to call home from the principal’s office for me to bring him long pants I said, “Please do not call again, this is the last time I am bringing you long pants.” I have since remedied the problem by nicely folding a pair of sweats and placing him in his backpack. I told him if his shorts are an issue for that day to quietly put his sweats in his backpack on.


Ben is only in 3rd grade, I’m feeling a little too seasoned to be endure 3 more years of elementary school.


3 comments:

MOM THE BOMB said...

Ben is awesome!

Laura said...

Well I think it is awesome that he has such a problem with BYU, but my husband is raising my kids to think that way. I don't think it is fun that he is in the principals office so much. To me it is a reflection on the teachers not him. Sounds like the reasons he is going are very silly and minimal. I agree that maybe he needs to tone down his hatred of BYU, but the shorts thing. I think if he is cold then he will learn his lesson. Obviously he isn't cold because he keeps doing it. I would say keep sending in the sweats. Good luck. Sorry you have a few more years of this to go.

Becky said...

Isaac things they are scared of me at the school because he's been wearing shorts all week and no one says anything to him.