Husband and Father

Husband and Father
July 15, 1958 ~ August 25, 2008

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

MRSA Staph Infection

This post is for informational purposes only!

A couple year’s ago while vacationing in Cancun, Mexico with my kids, Katelyn contracted a staph infection. It is unknown whether this was a result of an insect bite (with the insect caring the infection), or whether the open wound (bite) was touched and infected. Regardless, when we arrived home I didn’t give much thought to her condition until she returned home from Girl’s Camp with huge lesions on her extremities.


I quickly took her to the pediatrician who prescribed an antibiotic for staph infection. Since some of the sores were on her face the dermatologist was also consulted and seen. When the antibiotic did not cure the staph infection, other tests were performed. A test came back positive with a MRSA staph infection.


I didn’t know much about MRSA, but I did know that it was resistant to antibiotics. The pediatrician also didn’t know what to do and ask us to consult with the dermatologist.


Long story short, Kate struggled with this infection for over 4 months. At times it was manageable, and then it would flare up again. She would start screaming about her arm burning and literally within minutes a huge blister like lesion would form.


During this time we visited the dermatologist several times, and even the ER trying to remedy the problem. The dermatologist on-call during one of her severe ‘outbreaks’ suggested that we stay within 10 minutes of a hospital as a precaution.


One night, during one of her more serious outbreaks, I took her over to a doctor friend to be evaluated. He recommended that I take Kate directly to the ER at PCMC and demand that the situation get remedy.


I did so, and we spent the entire day there, just waiting. I told the doctors there that we knew what it was, (MRSA) that it had been tested, but no one seemed to know what to do.


Finally, the doctor at PCMC came into our room with a solution. She had contacted the Center for Disease Control (CDC), who faxed her information to give to us. They provided us with a prescription soap, and a copy of the information received from the CDC. They believed that someone was a silent carrier in our home. Since the carrier could not be determined, everyone in our house had to decontaminate 3 times per week. That meant soaking in bath water with a cup of clorax bleach for 30 minutes, and washing all the liens, towels, and clothing.


I could not believe that such a simple thing would work, but it did. I was frustrated that so many doctors were unaware of how to treat her condition.


She has not had a problem since, but this past weekend I watched a medical show on MRSA and they were treating the infection with bleach. I thought, this is something everyone should know. I wish I knew then what I know now.


I am so glad we had a happy ending, but want to save someone else the run-around by informing others about what I know.

2 comments:

Laura said...

I am so glad it was figured out. I know the pain of a problem with no solutions and even after a thousand doctor visits (and a doctor in the home for me) still no idea what is going on. Sometimes not knowing what to do or not knowing what is wrong is a bigger problem. Glad she is all better. I am filing this info in my brain if I ever hear of anyone else having this I can help them.

Foster Mom said...

you know...when sam was 4 months he had some testing done and one of them came back saying that he has MRSA. he hasn't had any out breaks but i have no idea how such a tiny baby could have contracted it. so weird!!
i hate skin problems. they are the worst! I am gls she hasn't had to deal with it since!!