Husband and Father

Husband and Father
July 15, 1958 ~ August 25, 2008

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Spotlight

Third Grade students in Mrs. Strong’s class are spotlighted one day per year. If it is your designated day, you go the head of the line, get to do everything first, bring a poster about yourself, and sometimes even bring treats.

Monday morning I knew it was Ben’s day. I said, “Hey bud, you are the spotlight today. Don’t forget your poster. Do you want me to come to your class? Ben looked me up and down, and responded, “Only if you do your hair, and take off those glasses.


Am I really that embarrassing? I know I haven’t updated my glasses (only worn at night) for over a decade, but I was planning to put in my contacts. It’s not like I’m George Castanza wearing leisure velvet sweats saying, “ I would drape myself in velvet if it were socially acceptable.” Not that there is anything wrong with that.


When I arrived at Ben’s class a student ran up to me, “Mrs. Brown, do you know you are wearing the same sweatshirt as Ben. Astonished, I put my figures to my lips to hush the boy, hoping Ben wouldn’t notice. Quickly, everyone noticed! When Ben was asked further about my sweatshirt he told the kids that I had borrowed his from his locker. Fibber!


When Santa brought unisex Utah sweatshirts to every one in our family, there were only a few patterns to choose from. Wouldn’t you know that today would be the day I would wear the same sweatshirt as the one Ben 'borrowed' from another sibling.


After Ben presented his poster to the class he opened it up for questions. I couldn’t stop laughing at the silly questions third graders ask. “So what is your favorite letter?” one inquired. “X”, said Ben acting a little annoyed by the crazy question. "What's your second most favorite letter?" the question continued. "Z", Ben replied in a monotone voice. The questions kept on coming.


My favorite question was, “What are your favorite pants?” Ben looked shocked as another student blurted out, “Ben doesn’t like pants.” I think the student meant, Ben only likes shorts, but the little third graders couldn’t stop laughing.


The students are all so friendly and kind to me. They really act like they enjoy my visits. Maybe they know I bring treats! No one even seemed to notice or care about my not-so-done hair.



1 comments:

Unknown said...

SO CUTE CINDY!! He is one funny boy! I think you are a darling mom... he is lucky to have you!!