Husband and Father

Husband and Father
July 15, 1958 ~ August 25, 2008

Monday, July 18, 2011

I-Pods

This morning I asked Katelyn to go on a leisurely walk with me, to the temple and back (about 3 miles). She agreed, but wanted to walk to Bountiful High and back which seemed much too strenuous for me. We negotiated and decided to walk to Viewcrest (a street just past the temple).

On our walk, Kate brought an I-Pod to listen to music. “That sure looks a lot like the one you kids passed along to me”, I inquired. “Oh yea, we use yours all the time,” she laughed. I have to wonder what happened to the up-graded I-pods that I have purchased for my children over the years. I am sure no one will fess up.

As we were walking, Kate let me use one ear-phone while she used the other. How nice, my daughter let me use a portion of my I-Pod. It was a little tricky; we had to walk in sync with each other. She was very thoughtful with the music as she listened to some of my oldies, Billy Joel, The Eagles, The Beatles, and Journey. We did step it up a notch or two with the music and listened to Pink, Katy Perry, etc.

I have to admit I got a little distracted with the music. Kate would say oh, just a little further, and we kept going and going until we rounded 4th North, walked/jogged down 4th north, turning on Davis Blvd. I finally realized I may have been duped. There was no turning back at this point.

We did have a great time. When you share headsets you both can listen to the same songs and sing really loud. Not to embarrass ourselves, we would stop if we saw someone. Some 10 year olds were taking a rest on their bikes when we passed, “Taylor Swift”, one yelled. I guess we did get a little loud.

When I got to the end of Davis Blvd. I decided I was not going to make it up 1800 South. We had no phones with us, so I decided I was going to hitchhike. Well, my version of hitchhiking – wave down anyone I knew for a ride.

As we were just about to turn up 1800 I saw a white suburban that resembled ours. I flagged it down. It was cute Mike. He had gotten worried about us (because we were gone so long) and came looking for us. I was so happy to see him.

As I opened the door to the suburban he would drive off a little to make me run to the car. He did this several times, laughing, before he gave me a ride home.

After today’s adventure, I have to wonder if my kids have secretly enrolled me in a physical fitness plan.

0 comments: