Husband and Father

Husband and Father
July 15, 1958 ~ August 25, 2008

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Ashes

We have a portable fire-pit in our back yard that we use for fires. The kids love roasting hot dogs, smores, and just getting warm. Last week’s “cleaning of the closet” prompted a need to burn some of Steve’s clothing, so we ignited a fire in the pit. It sounds harsh, but it was the proper way of disposing of these particular items. After burning the clothing, we all decided to make smores for dessert. They were delicious, and that ended our evening.

A couple days ago, Mike quietly confiscated one of my small Tupperware containers to use in gathering the ashes in the fire pit. Upon my discovery, I told him that the next time he wants to dispose of fire ashes that he should use a plastic bag. He then proceeded to tell me how the ashes were those of his Dad’s burnt clothing. He was gathering them to take on our vacation to Flaming Gorge, to spread at his Dad’s favorite places.

Once I knew the purpose of my Tupperware, I told him he could take any container he wanted. It warmed my heart, and made me all teary to think of what a thoughtful young man he is.

4 comments:

MOM THE BOMB said...

That's awesome. What a great kid!

Anonymous said...

You have amazing kids.

Cailey & Brady said...

He's the sweetest kid around! Love ya

Bexie Funk said...

i hope my boys turn out that thoughtful!