Husband and Father

Husband and Father
July 15, 1958 ~ August 25, 2008

Thursday, September 6, 2012

St John

At the end of our vacation week in St. Thomas, we decided to visit the gorgeous Virgin Island - St. John.  We took the car barge service from Red Hook in St. Thomas to Cruz Bay in St. John.  What an experience that was backing the rented Path Finder onto the barge. Then again, I had to learn to drive on the opposite side of the street when we arrived in St. Thomas, so I guess one more new thing was no big deal.


Two-thirds’ of St. John is a U.S. National Park.  The roaming hills are covered with lush trees and greenery.  Bursting through the tunnels of green, are panoramic views of their white sand beaches, and turquoise waters.  Pictures don’t adequately portray the Island.  It is absolutely gorgeous! My kids think this is the most beautiful place they have ever visited.
Truck Bay is one of the most beautiful beaches in the world.  It’s white sand beaches, pristine water, boarder by velvet green rolling hills is spectacular!  There is an underwater snorkel trail that the older kids attempted.  Without life jackets, it was a little difficult.

While the older kids were snorkeling, Lizzy, Ben and I dabbled in the warm, crystal clear blue water.  As we were exploring, I noticed a large sting ray to the side of me.  A woman from the beach yelled and pointed right next to me for everyone to see.  Lizzy starting screaming, and jumped on me, as Ben booked it to the beach.  "What," I explained,  "I thought we wanted to snorkel and find sea animals?  Why the screaming."

The kids fessed up that they had watch Shark week (or Stay Out of the Ocean Week), prior to our trip.  “Didn’t you know a shark bit off someone’s leg in St. Thomas?” Ben shouted.  Wow, I guess I need a few more parental controls on the television.

Cinnamon Bay was another beach we visited.  Walking to the left were beautiful boulders lining the ocean.  To the right was another soft, white sand, beach.

Visiting the Island of St. John was one of my children's favorite adventures. St. John is as far away as you can get from civilization, but still a short distance from quaint stores.  It is absolutely stunning!
The Ferry/Barge
The views

1 comments:

linda said...

That looks amazing! Thanks for sharing...