Husband and Father

Husband and Father
July 15, 1958 ~ August 25, 2008

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Some Rules Are Meant To Be Broken

Ben was selected to try out for the Mueller Park Baseball Accelerated Team. They choose two baseball players from each rec team to try out for the accelerated team. Ben was fortunate to be picked for the team. They play double headers each Saturday against other accelerated teams throughout the valley. The rules are a little different than rec. Our team is adjusting to: stealing bases, and playing kid pitch. In rec we are still playing machine pitch.

Ben happens to be one of the pitchers. He is doing great, and is as cute as can be. I did get a lecture from him last Saturday about what I can and cannot do when he pitches. I was told: (1) no comments when he pitches balls; (2) I can cheer when he throws strikes; (3) I have to sit in my seat (not behind the catcher). You know what I have to say…..rules made by KIDS, are made to be broken.

Today I tried to sit in my seat, but I couldn't do it. It was noticeable by not only me, but other parents, that when I sat behind home plate cheering him on when he pitched, he pitched better. So much for those "rules".

Last night at Ben's rec game he hit a grand slam. He couldn't have been more happy. For those of you that know how emotionally difficult it was for him to even play last year, the progress has been amazing.

Baseball seems to be dominating our lives right now, and I am thoroughly enjoying it. Between all the high school games, Ben’s rec games and accelerated games, we are busy, busy. It’s a fun busy!

2 comments:

Emily Hamilton said...

GO Ben!! A grand slam..impressive. He looks so grown up.

Ashley Erin said...

He is the cutest kid!