Husband and Father

Husband and Father
July 15, 1958 ~ August 25, 2008

Monday, March 14, 2011

Sugary Stuff

Grocery shopping is not my favorite thing to do. Many people love it, but I’m definitely not among them. After listening to the cries of my children that there was no food in the house for two weeks, I finally conceded. Katelyn, aka my personal grocery shopper, was too busy this weekend to help me, so I went on my own.

At my house, my children think we have no food when we are low on candy, sugared cereal, and crackers. Okay, maybe fruit, bread, and other essentials too, but mostly they think there is no food in the house when we are low on the sugary stuff.

I had to power shop since I had less than an hour before the teenagers were off to the school Dance. As I strolled up the cereal aisle with my cart, I heard a mom talking to her kids, “Oh no, we can’t buy that cereal it is only colored sugar, and very bad for you.” I reached over the mom to get my fruit loops, and got a crusty look from her kids. I just smiled.

The candy aisle was no better, with similar comments and criticisms of my grocery choices.

When I got home, I filled the candy dishes, the candy drawer, put away my sugary cereal, and rejoiced in the happy comments from my kids.

4 comments:

MOM THE BOMB said...

I'm with your kids. Candy is definitely an essential.

I am Laura said...

I don't buy too much sugary stuff but it is not because I worry for my kids. It is because I have no control whatsoever. I do buy sugar cereals however and lots of crackers. I just can't buy the candy. Even chocolate chips disappear in my household without ever making one cookie!

Emily Hamilton said...

You to have comfort food to survive...it's an essential at our house.

Bexie Funk said...

good for you Cindy, my kids eat that sugary cereal every morning! and so do i most mornings. and some of the so called healthy ones (raisin bran) has WAY more sugar than cinnamon toast crunch.