Husband and Father

Husband and Father
July 15, 1958 ~ August 25, 2008

Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Reserved

Saturday morning I woke to the noise of Ben bustling about. I could faintly hear him watching TV, feeling discontent, and scurry to the next form of entertainment. Still longing for sleep, I was in and out of consciousness.

After a while of listening to the pitter-patts of small feet moving about, I heard the door to my room open. When I finally rolled to the other side of my bed, I noticed a plaque that had been place on the opposite side of my bed. It was a sign used at TSG to reserve Steve’s parking space. Having placed it in a storage box over 4 years ago, I had forgotten about it. It read, “This space reserved for Steve Brown, the foreman with flair.

While entertaining himself, Ben had found a storage box full of Steve’s memorvilla. I wondered what his innocent little mind was thinking as he looked through many of his Dad’s belongings. I wish I would have been there with him, but maybe it was something he needed to do himself.

Ben was waiting patiently for me to recognize his finding. When I finally acknowledged the plaque laying on the opposite side of my bed Ben said, “Don’t forget mom, this space is reserved for Dad.” He had a smile on his face, and so did I. Beneath the smiles were some unspoken tender feelings.


0 comments: