Husband and Father

Husband and Father
July 15, 1958 ~ August 25, 2008

Friday, January 27, 2012

The Help

Friday’s are cleaning days at my house. I have two women (who are sisters), who are originally from Mexico, who come help us clean. They clean the bathrooms and kitchen, and the kids and I do the rest.


Today, I was surprised when only one person came to clean. When I inquired as to where the other one was, Garceilia answered, “Oh, she had a baby last Friday.” I was shocked since I didn't even notice that she was pregnant, and also because she had a baby on the same day that she cleaned for me.


Garceilia mentioned that while I was at a meeting last Friday, her sister's water broke while she was cleaning my house. Instead of rushing to the hospital (like I would have done), she continued cleaning. She cleaned another house after mine, before finally deciding to check into the hospital. She had the baby at eight that night.


I’m feeling a little bad for obvious reasons. Am I totally oblivious, or is the language barrier excuse enough for not noticing obvious things?


Gracilia's sister wanted to come clean today (one week later), but she insisted that she wait at least another week.


After cleaning all morning, I left to run some errands. I left Kate in charge and this is the list she devised for my little helpers.


ATTENTION SOLDIERS AND SLAVES OF THE BROWN HOUSEHOLD::


The Commander in Chief has DEMANDED that the following duties be done in T minus 4 hours. (Since Sergeant Mike has to go to battle tonight his tasks are do no later than 13:00 tomorrow)


NOTICE: Failure to complete the following tasks will result in automatic eviction out of Camp Brown and death by an automatic firearm of Commander-in-Chief/ President Kate’s choosing.


Private Benjamin:

Clean out locker

Assist Sergeant Mike in cleaning out the bomb shelter (aka storage room)

Assist Mike in cleaning out the garage including the blood on the floor (spilt popsicle)


Corporal Liz:

Clean out Locker

Dust the Chief’s bunk room

Practice harp

Clean out three drawers of your picking


Sergeant Mike:

Clean out Locker

Clean out the bomb shelter (storage room) and the garage

Boss Private Ben around and make him do something

Finish your bunk room

2 comments:

Sarah Hansen said...

hahaha for some reason when i read this it made me laugh out LOUD! she kills me sometimes....

Bexie Funk said...

kate is funny. my mom delivered papers the morning i was born. i don't know how people do that!