Husband and Father

Husband and Father
July 15, 1958 ~ August 25, 2008

Thursday, December 22, 2011

Texting While Driving

Texting while driving laws prohibit the use of electronic devices to write, send or read messages while driving. I agree completely with this law, and hope my kids do too.

Ben and I went on a road trip to St. George on Tuesday, to watch the Bountiful Brave's basketball team in a tournament. It was a quick trip, since I had a wedding to attend on Thursday morning, but we had tons of fun!

As we were driving, my phone continually alerted me that I was receiving text messages. It is SO tempting to just take a peek, but I refrained. Instead, I had my personal assistant, Ben, read me the text and I would tell him what to write back. He quite enjoyed his new responsibility. It kept him entertained and busy.

I warned a friend of mine that Ben was texting. She carried on quite a conversation with him via text messaging. I kept hearing Ben laugh, and laugh, and then he would say, “Mom, I don’t really mean everything I am writing.”

If you were one of the textee’s privileged enough to receive a text back, just remember; whatever I supposedly said, Ben was typing. One child of mine was a little irritated with the tone of my text. Hopefully, I haven't offended too many people.

Conversations with 9 year olds while driving are funny. Ben said, “Mom, I think I got a little of both you and Dad. I am smart like you, and good at sports like Dad. Aww......how adorable!

Then there were the conversations or annoying comments such as, “How much longer? Are we there yet? Repeated 50 times. I finally handed him my phone and told him to navigate to our destination and it would keep him informed as to how much time we had left in the car.

Technology......isn’t it great!

0 comments: