Husband and Father

Husband and Father
July 15, 1958 ~ August 25, 2008

Thursday, December 29, 2011

Dancing Around The Christmas Tree

Norwegian traditions are a big part of the Brown's Christmas Eve Celebration. Part of the Norwegian Christmas Eve tradition consists of "dancing" around the Christmas tree while singing Christmas carols. Hand in hand, we make a big circle with the tree in the middle. The dancing ends with the traditional O Jul Med Din Glede Norwegian song.


O Jul Med Din Glede is the crowd's favorite. It includes dancing, clapping, spinning in a circle, and curtseying and bowing. It made me a little teary eyed, as I remembered Steve's love and enthusiasm - probably more mocking enthusiasm- of this song. These are the Norwegian lyrics to the song:

Song Lyrics

1. O jul med din glede og barnlige lyst,
Vi ønsker dig alle velkommen;
Vi hilser dig alle med jublende røst:
Titusene ganger velkommen.

Vi klapper i hendene,
Vi synger og vi ler,
Saa gladelig, saa gladelig,
Vi swinger oss i kretsen, og neier.

2. I Østerlands vise, I tre stjernemenn,
Vi vet jo nok hvorhen I drage;
Ti vi vilde ogsaa gjerne derhen,
Og eder paa reisen ledsage.

Vi klapper i hendene,
Vi synger og vi ler,
Saa gladelig, saa gladelig,
Vi swinger oss i kretsen, og neier.

3. Saa rekker jeg dig nu med glede min haand,
Kom skynd dig og gi mig den anden.
Saa knytter vi kjaerlighets hellige baand,
Og lover at elske hinanden.

Vi klapper i hendene,
Vi synger og vi ler,
Saa gladelig, saa gladelig,
Vi swinger oss i kretsen, og neier.


Loosely translated it goes something like this:

Oh, Yule with your joy and your childlike delight
We wish you all welcome.
We greet you all with jubilating voices
Ten-thousand times welcome.

We clap our hands
we sing and we laugh.
That's how glad we are, how glad we are,
we swing around in circles
and we curtsey and we bow.

It is custom that In the final verse, everyone crosses arms and gives the right hand to the person on the left, and the left hand to the person on the right and ties love's sacred bond and promises to love one another. We leave that part out.

Presents are exchanged after the dancing around the Christmas tree. This year I gave Steve’s parents and siblings a special gift. I scanned Steve’s missionary journal, and with the help of a very talented and fabulous printer - Tueller’s Printing-published his journal and some missionary photos.

It was a tender moment to give and receive this special book.

Once the festivities of the night concluded my immediate family gathered at my house. We watched a video of The Savior, and talk about the Plan of Salvation. It is a tender time. I gave them Steve's published Missionary Journal. When reading this journal, I hope that they will gain in-sight to the success and struggles their Dad had while serving a mission. His service to the Lord changed the lives of many people, and generations to come. I hope they will always remember and know of his love for the Lord, and his testimony of the gospel.

In Steve's journal he wrote, "While I was glancing through the bible the other day, I came across this passage, "I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith." That's my goal, to be able to say that at the end of my mission here in Alaska, and my mission here on this earth."

I believe that he accomplished both.

Dancing Around The Christmas Tree

Gift Giving
Cousins

1 comments:

Laura said...

Everyone is growing up so much. Fun times.