Husband and Father

Husband and Father
July 15, 1958 ~ August 25, 2008

Sunday, September 18, 2011

Running Red

The fiery rivalry between BYU and Utah was evident long before game time on Saturday. School kids expressed their alliance to their college of choice, bantering with their rivals as to whom would come out on top. Adults also voiced their preference through social media outlets, wearing their color of choice, and displaying flags and other paraphernalia representing their team.

Our family is no different than any other sports enthusiasts, we love our college football. Our allegiance is completely towards our crimson red Utes. Steve and I both graduated from the U in Communications and have raised 6 loyal Utah Fans. We inundated them young dressing them in the smallest Utah attire, and taking them to games at a young age. Yes, there is no mistake we are RED through and through.


Saturday night was the “BIG” game of the year, with the mighty Utes playing on the Cougars turf. On BYU’s first play, Heaps chased down the ball and tried to pick the ball up and throw it. The ball came out of his hand backward and Shelby, a defensive lineman for the U, fell on it in the end zone for a Utah touchdown. Wowza! What a way to start out a game.

The game didn’t get much better for the cougs. Seven BYU turnovers lead to a blowout, with Utah winning 54 to 10.


My favorite player of the night was John White, running back for the Utes. White scored 3 touchdowns, one being a 63 yard romp. The BYU fans were seen exiting as White made that spectacular touchdown. They'd seen enough.

Ben and I watched it on television. With just a measly two viewers at my house, the house was anything but quiet. Ben and I were very boisterous in our enthusiasm over the Utes crushing the Cougs.


During the game Ben said, "Do you feel someone else here?" Not quite understanding what he meant, I didn't respond, prompting him to ask again. This time I responded, "Do you feel Dad here." "Yep", he said a little introspectively.


Steve was one of the most avid Utah fans around. You can’t watch or attend a Utah sporting event and not think about Steve Brown. He wouldn’t miss a game, and would trek the kids to bowl games, conference games, to whatever or wherever the Utes were playing. We all believed that last night he was happily smiling down upon us.
Steve and Mike.


4 comments:

Unknown said...

Priceless.
Love this post. I'm sure Steve LOVED that game. My Steve loved hearing about the outcome. Great game. GO UTES :)

Izzy said...

Being a BYU fan, I didn't love the game, but when I thought about Steve it was worth it. I will take a (huge) loss if it is for Bishop :)

Emily Hamilton said...

I love what Ben said. I'm sure Steve wouldn't have missed that game and was definitely there. It was a good game. Go Utes!

eden said...

I love, love, love that picture of Steve and Mike!