Husband and Father

Husband and Father
July 15, 1958 ~ August 25, 2008

Saturday, September 10, 2011

Fall Harvest

Time seems to be going by so quickly. It has been one year since this. Last year, on September 15th, Sarah was diagnosed with a large tumor and had surgery on the 30th. There was only a 2 week period from her diagnosis, to surgery and the pathology results. Those two weeks seemed to drag on, and my mind filled with distress and concern over the challenge that lay ahead.

I tried to keep busy, and began canning salsa, marinara sauce, as well as making freezer jam, and freezer fruit cocktail as a distraction. My distraction has now become a necessity. My kids loved the fruits of my labors, and have gotten a little spoiled and picky about these few things. Needless to say, I have been busily canning this past weekend. Thankfully, my kids have been very helpful and involved to make the process easier.

I have been fortunate to have my parent's and sister’s gardens to pick beautiful, red, succulent tomatoes. There is something personally rewarding for me to gather tomatoes from these gardens to make these heavenly goods. In some small way, I feel like I am “living off the land”, so to speak, or being resourceful.

Winter hasn’t even begun, Kate has taken and used some marinara sauce down at college, and Mike has downed an entire bottle of salsa in just one day. Hopefully, the canned goods will last through winter.

My parents in their garden.

0 comments: