Husband and Father

Husband and Father
July 15, 1958 ~ August 25, 2008

Sunday, September 4, 2011

Meal Planning

Among other things, Saturday is grocery shopping day at our house. I think I have mentioned this before, that I loathe grocery shopping. Kate enjoys grocery shopping, and therefore, has been my personal grocery shopper for quite some time. Since she was in town for the long holiday, I decided to make a menu of meals, and a list of groceries needed in hopes that Kate would do my shopping.

One of the meals on my menu was Mexican Pulled Pork Carnitas, from Si’s blog. To make this meal, you begin by cooking a pork butt for several hours. I had placed that item on my grocery shopping list along with the remaining weeks necessities.

Kate searched, and searched, and couldn’t find a pork butt at the grocery store. Finally, a clerk asked her if he could help her, and she told him she was looking for a pork (smile, maybe laugh a little) butt. The clerk grinned and informed her that there was no such thing as a pork butt, that they only had rumps.

When Kate returned home, she was sure I had set her up for an embarrassing grocery encounter. I had to retrieve Si’s recipe to insure her of my innocence.

3 comments:

Tracie said...

That is so funny!

Anonymous said...

I came across your blog today, and seeing your husband passes away and being nosy, I went back to your first post and was shocked.
I grew up in the same ward as Wayne and Janet. My Mom also grew up in that ward her whole life. My Mom's parents had both died by the time she was 25, and with 7 younger siblings, she was left with a lot of responsibility along with all the pain of processing something like that.
I remember how sad she was. If the ward members talked about it, she told them pray for those kids. You don't know how hard it is to lose a parent.
We have prayed and thought of your family over the last three years. Reading your blog, it is great to see how strong you all have been, putting one foot in front of the other, just moving forward. Know that we are still aware of the struggles and pain your family might be having, and think of you all often.

Unknown said...

That is too funny. Tell kate it's called BOSTON BUTT. And, yes, is does say "Butt" on the label.
Pass the butt, please :D