Husband and Father

Husband and Father
July 15, 1958 ~ August 25, 2008

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

The Gas Leak

Last Monday night I had prepared a palatable dinner of rotisserie chicken, boiled red potatoes, and a vegetable. We left some dishes in the sink, as we hurried off to a baseball game.

When I returned, I expected to smell the aroma of freshly baked chicken. Instead, I thought I smelled GAS! Yikes! A sense of panic swept over me as I checked to make sure the gas burners on the stove were off, the fireplace wasn’t on, and that the furnace hadn't malfunctioned.

I opened all the windows, and doors, and had fans blowing to dismiss the odor. I had a friend and her husband come over to access the situation. By the time they arrived the repugnant stench had dissipated a bit. Only a vague trace of the odor was lingering.

Still, not convinced that I didn’t have a gas leak, we called our nice neighborly plumber to check things out. On his way to my house, the dog happened to run inside. I grabbed her, picked her up, and quickly determined that she was the source of the “gas leak”.

I’m still not sure exactly what happened while I was away. Did a skunk and my dog run through my house? Or, did the dog come in after she was sprayed by the skunk and run through my house? Whatever the case, we did have a "gas leak", but it seemed to be a nature not natural one.

0 comments: