Husband and Father

Husband and Father
July 15, 1958 ~ August 25, 2008

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Modesty

This video has been very popular lately. It reminded me of an experience we had last summer.

For the most part, the girls’ and I try to dress modestly. That has been something Steve especially has stressed with them from an early age. I am not claiming to be self righteous, or never ever having the girls wear something that doesn’t meet someone else’s modesty guidelines; but for the most part, I’d say we TRY to dress modestly.

Last summer in Hawaii, I was amazed at the comments we got while swimming at the beautiful hotel pool and delving into the crystal blue ocean. It was not once, but several times I was asked where we were from and if we were Mormons.

I finally was curious why people were so interested. I asked a young newlywed, why she asked. She said, “Well, I have noticed how modest all your girls swim suits are, and thought for sure you must be Mormons. I have also been watching your family play together in the pool, and thought how nice it was that you all have fun together.”

I am definitely not advocating that only Mormons wear modest swim suits or play together in the pool that simply is not true. However, I thought it was interesting that someone would notice, and inquire as to what religion we were.

On another day, on our Hawaii vacation but at a different location, I was asked the same thing. Again, simply because of the modesty of my girls’ swim suits. This older woman took it a little too far, when she said, “Is that your husband over there?” Walking across from us was a man in a BYU T-shirt. Wouldn’t Steve have liked that comment!

1 comments:

MOM THE BOMB said...

When we were in Brazil on the beach in Rio de Janiero, everybody just stared at our girls, because they were so out of place from the string bikinis.