Husband and Father

Husband and Father
July 15, 1958 ~ August 25, 2008

Saturday, March 27, 2010

Once Upon A time....and they lived happily ever after.

Fairy tales are not just for the young, they are also for those of us who feel we have lived a life like a princess - a life better than we ever expected. My "once upon a time", began over 20 years ago when I married the love of my life. We started out as most newly weds, with limited monetary means, but lots of love.. We were college graduates, with great work ethics. Over the years, we were able to expand our humble adobe to a beautiful home with 6 fabulous children.

We had the opportunity each year to travel to new extraordinary destinations. We traveled the world, engaging in exquisite accommodations, in exotic places. We engaged in European travel and site-seeing , and viewing the magnificent wonders of the world.

We were all activity engaged in The Lord's work. Life was bliss.

Then came the greatest adversity I have ever experienced in my life, the passing of my husband. I began to think that my "happily ever after" wasn't going to happen.

I was reminded tonight my President Utchtdorf of how I am going to be assured a "happily ever after" ending.

"During his remarks, President Uchtdorf asked the teens to think back to their favorite fairy tale.

"In that story, the main character may be a princess or a peasant; she might be a mermaid or a milk maid, a ruler or a servant," he said. "You will find one thing all have in common — they must overcome adversity.

Sandwiched between their "once upon a time" and "happily ever after," they experienced hard times, he said.

"Why must all experience sadness and tragedy? Why could we not simply live in bliss and peace, each day filled with wonder, joy and love?" President Uchtdorf asked. "In stories, as in life, adversity teaches us things we cannot learn otherwise. Adversity helps to develop a depth of character that comes in no other way."

President Uchtdorf told the young women that they will experience their own adversity.

"None is exempt. You will suffer, be tempted and make mistakes," he said. "You will learn for yourself what every heroine has learned: through overcoming challenges comes growth and strength.

"It is your reaction to adversity, not the adversity itself that determines how your life's story will develop."

In closing, President Uchtdorf promised that "happily ever after" is not something just found in fairy tales."(taken from Sarah Jane Weaver, Church News Staff Writer)

My favorite quote from the night is, "It is your reaction to adversity, not the adversity itself that determines how your life's story will develop." That is such a powerful statement, one I wish to remember often. I hope that I will react to my adversity in such a way that my life's story will be one with a "happily ever after" at the end of my life and for the eternities hereafter.

2 comments:

Emily Hamilton said...

Thanks so much for this!

Vanderlinden Clan said...

what a great reminder for all of us; thanks for sharing it.