Husband and Father

Husband and Father
July 15, 1958 ~ August 25, 2008

Saturday, March 6, 2010

Number One Fan

In the past year and a half, I have been to MANY basketball and baseball games for Mike. I have thoroughly enjoyed watching him play sports. When he excels, I find myself wishing Steve were there watching him, cheering him on. He would be so proud of him. Steve LOVED a good ball game, especially when Mike was involved. He was a doting father, making sure Mike was on the right team, obtaining the right skills, practicing, and monitoring his schedule. His dad was his number one fan.

I also find when the game doesn't particularly go as well as you had wished, missing Steve. He always knew the right thing to say, at the right time. He knew what could be changed, and how to change it. He knew all the rules, and made sure everyone else knew them too.

Mike was so lucky to have his dad so involved with the sports he played.

Ben was only 6 when Steve passed away. In fact, it was two days after his 6th birthday that Steve died. We have great memories of Steve teaching Ben about baseball....how to swing a bat, and catch a ball. It was the summer of '08 that Steve coached his little league team. It is a very distinct memory for Ben, one that he will hopefully remember forever.

When Ben is playing basketball and I notice a very advanced move, I ask him where he learned it, and he always says, his Dad.

It makes me sad to think that Ben won't have the same experience as Mike. He will still have opportunities, but his number one fan will be missing.

2 comments:

linda said...

Cindy, I'm a huge fan of your blog! You always make me stop and think about the important things in life...
I have a feeling Steve is still the number 1 fan of Mike & Ben.

Foster Mom said...

I'm so sorry