Husband and Father

Husband and Father
July 15, 1958 ~ August 25, 2008

Friday, February 4, 2011

The Pinewood Derby

Last Friday night was the pinewood derby for scouts. We have never participated in one before, and I must say, I was impressed, stunned and happy.

I was impressed by the workmanship of the cars. Some dads had spent numerous hours fine tuning their son’s cars down to the final detail. It was rumored that one dad had stayed up until midnight the night before attending to the details. Whatever the case, each car looked spectacular!

The runway for the race cars was meticulously assembled, with a computerized mechanism that calculated 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th place. Each car competed in each lane, just in case the lane made a difference on its rank.

I was stunned by the competitiveness of this event. Many parents were adamant about their son’s car placing first. I began to understand why the computerized calculations at the finish line was necessary.

Ben had assistance with his car from our kind home teacher. I was so glad that our home teacher took on this project that I knew nothing about. Another father at the race assisted him with lubricants for the wheels. Another thing I knew nothing about.

I was happy, because Ben was happy. I only cared that his car made it across the finish line. Not only did his car make it across the finish line, but it took 1st place in the first round, and 3rd overall. This is extra impressive considering we had multiple wards participating.

Way to go Ben! And THANKS Home Teacher!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why aren't there "like" buttons for blogs? Way to go
Ben!

eden said...

Way to go Ben!!

Your race track is fancy. Our cubs have to race on an old fashioned wooden track. It still has the very necessary automatic timers though!

MOM THE BOMB said...

Great job, Ben!