Husband and Father

Husband and Father
July 15, 1958 ~ August 25, 2008

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

The Well Deep Inside Of Us

Brittany Bastian Ericksen was a former assistant to Steve at TSG. She was a wonderful assistant, and also helped on occasion with our kids. She is so sweet and tender. She is a beautiful person both inside and out. We have remained in touch over the years, and have looked forward to her visits.

She was shocked, as all of us were, at the sudden passing of Steve. She visited our home during that time providing me with strength and encouragement. She shared stories of the tender mercies that happened with her cousins that passed away.

This weekend tragedy struck her extended family again. Her Uncle Rick Bastian died suddenly of a heart attack while mountain biking with his son. It seemed all too familiar to me. My heart breaks for this dear family that also lost two children (Desiree, and Travis), in a fatal car accident two years ago.

My thoughts and prayers are with Brittany, her family and the Bastian family. I read a comment on the obituary today that applies to all of us who have lost a loved one. It is written by Brian A. Wong:

"Your grief may ebb and flow. It has been said that each of us has this well deep inside of us that can be filled to the brim with grief. Every time we cry, we empty out some of the well. But the well fills again. The level of sorrow in your well may lessen as time passes, but it will never run dry. There will always be birthdays, anniversaries, holidays, and those days when the well seems to fill to its brim again. Allow yourself time to remember and mourn. It is part of your healing. Grief is a continuing journey."

I do not personally know his wife KayeLynn. I have only heard about her through Brittany and others. I am so impressed with KayeLynn's strength and testimony. What a great example she is to me. My heart breaks for her and her dear family.

4 comments:

Foster Mom said...

You are a wonderful writer. You write with such compassion and empathy. I am so glad I've gotten to know you better lately. You are a great example to me. And SO funny too. I never knew how funny you could be.

Emily Hamilton said...

I agree with the above post, you really have talent with writing. You express things so well.
That's so sad about the Bastians tragedy, they are such a great family. We will keep them in our prayers.

poodle said...

this made me laugh so hard i cried. i had to try really hard to hide it, too, because i was teaching a class at the time. oops.

i keep trying to invite you to my blog, but i think i have the wrong email address!! email me at poodlethenoodle@gmail.com and i'll send you an invite.

love, brittany

Britney said...

Hi Cindy. Thanks for his post. I've been thinking about you and Steve a lot this week... I'm sure this was all too fresh for you too.

We are all so shocked, just because we thought they were "off limits"...and it was just so soon after my cousins. But again, the gospel is what makes all this OK (as you know all too well).

Thanks for your friendship and for keeping in touch with me. I still think of Steve often, he will always be one of my favorite people.