Husband and Father

Husband and Father
July 15, 1958 ~ August 25, 2008

Sunday, September 27, 2009

Coveted Sweet and Sour Chicken Recipe

I have had many inquiries for my Sweet and Sour Chicken recipe. I must say that this is my kids favorite meal. Whenever someone has a birthday and they get to pick a meal for me to make, it is always Sweet and Sour Chicken. When I make dinner for a friend in need, more often than not I prepare this meal. Most everyone LOVES it. It is easy, and basically hard to mess up.

I can't take credit for this recipe. It was given to me by a dear friend Eileen Moore. I could write pages and pages of the many things that this sweet friend has done for me over the years. Maybe at a later date I'll blog more about her.

Steve was put in the bishopric of the Mueller Park 5th Ward when my oldest child was 7 and when my fourth baby was blessed. Eileen and her kind daughter Andrea took care of our family. When Steve became bishop several years later, I had two more babies. and the Moore's continued to serve us. Andrea would come to my house every Sunday morning to help me get the kids ready for church. The Moore Family would sit with me to assist with the little ones.

Eileen took a particular interest in teaching me culinary skills. She would invite me to her house to make her famous cinnamon rolls, and dinner rolls. Andrea and Eileen would make cookies with my older kids almost every Sunday. One Christmas Eileen made a recipe book for her daughter and daughter-in-laws. That is the book where you will find this delicious recipe:

Sweet and Sour Chicken

3 pounds chicken breast (I use chicken tenders)
1 tsp garlic salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 beaten egg
6 Tbsp flour
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup vinegar
1/2 cup chicken stock
3 1/2 Tbsp. ketchup
1 Tbsp soy sauce
Sprinkle chicken with garlic salt and pepper. Let stand for one hour or more. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Dip chicken in beaten egg, then flour. Brown in hot oil. Place in baking dish. Cover with following sauce: Mix sugar, vinegar, chicken stock, ketchup, and soy sauce in saucepan and heat. Pour over chicken. Bake uncovered for 1 hour. Turn chicken once or twice.
Best if served with rice. ENJOY!

12 comments:

I am Laura said...

I will for sure be using this recipe soon. thanks!

Unknown said...

Sounds yummy Brownie Mom. This is SO funny. I just now figured out why you are the Brownie mom. When I was a kid, I forever wanted to be in Brownies (young girl scouts), and have my mom be the Brownie Mom. DIdn't ever occur to me this is from your last name!

Suzie said...

Hooray!! You totally beat me to it...maybe for the post of this recipe on my blog, I'll just insert a link to your blog! Thanks again for sharing...it is the best!!

Emily Hamilton said...

I have to tell you that this is one of our favorites too! You made this for a shower years ago and it was sooo good. My mom got the recipe from you and passed it to me. I have been making it and everyone I make it for wants the recipe. Yum! You make good stuff! THANKS!

Babelicious said...

Thanks Cindy!! I got all choked up reading about Eileen. She is my next door neighbor and she has done the same for me and my family. We miss them dearly!! Only 14 months to go. I can't wait to try the recipe.

Babelicious said...

Cindy--this is Jodi Smith (Wilson)
I guess I should let you know that I am Babelicious!!

Jen Brown said...

My kids love Aunt Cindy's chicken!!! They want to have it every week.

Bexie Funk said...

thanks cindy i'm going to have to give that a try!

browniemom said...

Si~ The name Brownie Mom came from John and Becky Edwards. Years ago, they lived across the street from us. They knew how much we loved brownies (well anything chocolate), and our name was Brown, so they begin calling us the Brownies. Maybe your name should be the Frosty's. You definately should have a food name.

Foster Mom said...

I made it...it turned out so yummy! I'm not the best cook, and since this turned out, I'm proud to say this is something i will be making time and time again.

browniemom said...

Yay Katie!!!

Josh Moore said...

It was always my request for birthdays growing up too. I sent this on to mom so she could read this too. I sure miss the home ward!