Husband and Father

Husband and Father
July 15, 1958 ~ August 25, 2008

Sunday, September 27, 2009

Salsa

The definition of salsa is,"a kind of Latin American dance music influenced by jazz and rock, and usually played at fast tempos." Well....I am pleased to announce that NO, I did not take up a new hobby of Latin American dancing. I was merely canning salsa for my family. Phew! No worries.

In a previous blog, I mentioned the movie Julie and Julia. I loved the passion and quest for perfection in their cooking. I especially loved Julia's love for life and enjoying the journey of learning her specific trade. She was portrayed in the movie as a fun-loving, full of energy, genuinely nice person, pursuing her dreams.

This movie has inspired me to expand upon my own culinary skills. I have been trying to domesticate myself. So yesterday, I learned how to can salsa. I have never done this before, but have loved partaking of the product of other's skilled in this area.

My family and I LOVE salsa. We love the fresh juicy tomatoes, zippy peppers, and sweet onions. Rio Grand is our favorite fresh salsa. I have only found a couple canned salsa recipes that my family likes. Uncle Scott's is definitely one of their favorites.

It is always more enjoyable for me to socialize or work in groups on these projects. So yesterday, I canned salsa with my brother-in-law, Scott Brown, his parents, and his kids. Yes....it was definitely a group effort. There was a role for everyone. Salsa isn't just throwing a bunch of ingredients together. The ingredients have to be manipulated, measured, and cooked to a precise or designated moment. As you soldier through, you realize, that you learn so much more from observing others and having specific roles in the salsa making.

These are several tidbits I learned from observing:

  1. Hot peppers can be minced in the blender. Cover whole peppers with water, blend, and drain off water.
  2. Instead of pureeing tomatoes with a food processor, squeeze them between your hands.
  3. While cooking tomatoes remove over abundance of juice.
  4. When done with project wash hands and dishes in bleach. It removes the odors.

    Thanks to the Brown's for sharing their amazing salsa making skills with me, and in helping provide exquisite salsa for my family. Two bottles already devoured, 44 to go. Maybe I should ration.






















2 comments:

Becky said...

Looks delish!

eden said...

You're such an ambitious woman. Does it taste as good as it looks?