Husband and Father

Husband and Father
July 15, 1958 ~ August 25, 2008

Sunday, February 22, 2009

Headstones and Wedding Dresses

I am so excited for my first daughter to get married. She is so happy, and has made such a great choice to marry the man she loves for time and all eternity in the Salt Lake Temple. She is such a beautiful, spirtitual, compassionate person. She will have an amazing life with Quinn.

We have spent hours and hours searching for the perfect wedding dress. Her sisters and I have watched as she has tried on dress after dress. I think she looks beautiful in them all, but we finally found the one, the perfect one for her. She looks gorgeous!

Meagan and I have talked about the excitement and the saddness that surrounds her wedding. I want her wedding day to be filled with happiness and joy, and for it to be perfect in every way. Many plans have been made to make it that wonderful, special day that she will remember forever.

There is an overshadowing presence of saddness as we make wedding plans. It will be less than 8 months since Steve passed away when Meagan has her wedding. My heart is filled with joy for my daughter, but saddness that her dad won't physically be with us on her wedding day. We know he will be there in spirit, he would never miss her wedding, but it is difficult to imagine a day like this without the physical presence of her dad and my husband.

This weekend we have been looking at options for a headstone for Steve's grave. It seems like a contradiction that we need to make two decisions one beautiful and positive, and the other respectful but sad. It has been difficult trying to find the right headstone to honor him.

I never imagined I would be choosing my husband's headstone, and my daughter's wedding dress all at the same time. Somehow we will find peace with it. I know Steve will be with us, watching over us.

4 comments:

Becky said...

If you need moral support when ordering the headstone, let me know. XOXO

MOM THE BOMB said...

Meagan and Quinn will make a wonderful couple! I'm so happy for them. Please let me know as soon as you know when the actual wedding date will be. I want to be there.

Emily Hamilton said...

I can't wait to see Meagan's dress, I'm sure she looks BEAUTIFUL! She will be the perfect bride.

I am Laura said...

My sister in law was married four months after Ben's dad died (he was 53) and it was a beautiful day, but we still felt a tinge of sadness for him not being there. I don't cry often, but I did when I sat in the temple with his family on her wedding day and watched as my husband, her brother, took the place of his father for her. It is such a hard thing to loose someone so young and know that they are missing out on some of the wonderful things of life, but he is there as you have said watching over you and joying with you in these events. It has been almost three years now since Ben's dad died and I still don't believe it. It is something that has forever changed Ben and his family. I am not sure if the sadness gets better, but it does get less sharp in pain.

I am so happy for Meagan and this fun time in her life.