Husband and Father

Husband and Father
July 15, 1958 ~ August 25, 2008

Monday, July 29, 2013

Mishap by Henefer

Oh I bet you thought we had a mishap- free trip to Flaming Gorge.......not so.

Saturday night on the way home from the Gorge, we were flagged down on the freeway by a fellow camper.  We pulled over, and so did they.  Smoke was billowing from the back tire of the trailer.  Unbeknowst to me, the bearings on the trailer wheels must be packed and lubricated annually.  When boats are brought in and out of water, it tends to dry up the lubrication.

Since, this has not been done for 5 years, we had a problem.  A BIG problem!  The bearings on the back wheel of the trailer were burned, and the wheel had become very wobbly.  There was nothing our fellow campers could do for us, so I told them we would call AAA.

Upon calling AAA, they referred me to a towing company in Coal Ville.  Tom, the owner, told me to drive very slowly into Henefer, unhitch the boat on main street, and leave it for him to tow in the morning.

I slowly drove into Henefer, without further incident, and unhitched the boat in a Morman church parking lot (I felt like it would be safer there).  I then called the police dispatch, and told them that we had had a break down and would be leaving the boat in the parking lot for a least the night.

The next day, (Sunday) I called Tom, who was not able to tow the boat until Monday.  The married kids and I drove up to Henefer that night, emptied the boat, and brought the contents home.  Tom was able to tow it on Monday.  It is now at Metal Craft getting repaired.

Wow!  What an adventure!

I was glad that I wasn't alone with my two kids.  Aunt Jen provided much help and entertainment.



2 comments:

Ashley Erin said...

That's not fun! Glad everyone was safe though.

MOM THE BOMB said...

Wow! You couldn't leave a boat unattended in a parking lot here (even a Mormon parking lot.) Glad everything is OK.