Husband and Father

Husband and Father
July 15, 1958 ~ August 25, 2008

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

The Churro Man

Do remember the "Churro Man"? This past weekend has been just as frustrating as Disneyland.

Sunshine Cafe was the breakfast spot to celebrate Meagan's 25th birthday.  Ben came along to help with the celebration.  We love the Sunshine Cafe and were enjoying our meal and conversation when I noticed that Ben had left.  I always assume he is leaving briefly for a visit to the restroom, but when he doesn't return promptly, I begin to wonder.

Quinn, kindly went to look for him, and found him lounging on the top of the covered bed of the truck.  When I  inquired about what he was doing, he stated, "Just resting".  Well, okay, then!  "Let somebody know next time",  I smirked.

I had a busy Saturday, dropped Ben at basketball practice only to return an hour later, and take him to Lizzy's dance recital.  I knew it wasn't his "cup of tea", but didn't have time to take him home.  I LOVE to watch Lizzy dance, and really enjoy all of CAA dance recitals.  This one was no different.

After he watched Lizzy dance, he began to get fidgety, and impatient.  "Mom, lets go.  We have seen Lizzy", he barked.  "No Ben,  I'm enjoying the concert, I whispered.  "Well, I'm walking home", he snapped.  Knowing, he would NEVER do such a thing, I ignored him as he walked out of the auditorium in the middle of a dance performance.

Thinking he was waiting for me in the foyer, I waited for a dance performance to end, and went out to find him.  Ben was nowhere to be seen.  Knowing Lizzy had already danced and could leave if she wanted, I called her to see if she could help me find Ben.  We went out to the car.....no Ben.  Up and down the streets to and from Bountiful High School....no Ben.  In our house.....no Ben.

I returned to Bountiful High where Lizzy entered the lobby to look for him once more.  She happened upon Molly and Lindsey  (our friends that we went to Disneyland with).  As she told Molly our predicament, Molly said, "Well, we saw Ben leave the building, but he seemed to know where he was going.  One thing you don't have to worry about, is there are no Churro Stands on the way home", she chuckled.

After quite some time driving around we returned home again, where we found Ben.  "Where have you been"?  I scolded.  "I walked home, I was bored", he recounted.  "We searched the streets and you were no where to be seen", I refuted.  "Well, I hitched a ride with a neighbor",  he admitted.

I'm beginning to think maybe 10 year olds need leashes....not toddlers.


0 comments: