Husband and Father

Husband and Father
July 15, 1958 ~ August 25, 2008

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Thriller




Tonight we had a “girl’s night out”. All of my girls, except Kate (college duties were calling), went to The Thriller, at Kingsbury Hall. For those of you not familiar with this production, it has nothing to do with Michael Jackson. That is, other than the performers in the opening act and the finale dancing to The Thriller, one of his greatest hit songs,

The Thriller is a Halloween-themed dance. The Odyssey Dance Theatre takes your favorite Halloween characters and portrays them in fun, entertaining settings and contexts. Frightening zombies search the audience for victims to scare. There is a lot of humor in the show, using skeletons, mummies, and even the use of a chain saw.

When Sarah was a High School Junior, she invited me to attend the Thriller at Bountiful High School with her. It was performed by the talented Manadelles. I had no expectations going in to the dance since I had never heard about, or even seen the Thriller before.

The auditorium was packed that night. Dancers were displayed in the lobby; still as mannequins, with frightening make-up, disheveled hair, and chilling costumes. The ambiance was that of a scary horror movie.

It was dark, but we finally found two seats at the end of a row. Before the dance commenced, I was sitting in my seat when I got a strange feeling someone was watching me. I looked down to my right, in the aisle, and saw one of the scary creatures from the lobby squatted down, starring at me. Scared half to death, I scream as loud as I could and may have uttered a bad word (a bad word for me, not really a bad word).

Fortunately, I had a hood on my jacket that I could place over my head when the roars of laughter and cheers of the students (and maybe some adults) exuded through the audience. The frightening creature may have been pleased with the shock she created, but her expression never changed. Sarah ducked down in her seat to avoid being associated with the person that caused such a spectacle.

Tonight, I was prepared. No screams, no spectacle, just an enjoyable evening with the girls.

0 comments: