Husband and Father

Husband and Father
July 15, 1958 ~ August 25, 2008

Thursday, October 6, 2011

A Brilliant Man

It has been said that Steve Jobs has changed the world as we know it. He is remembered and defined as a visionary man, a genius. Many lives have been dramatically changed by the technology he produced.

Unfortunately, I am a little "behind the times". My limited knowledge and antiquated "techno -gear" has not brought me to the "Apple Sphere". My wish list still includes: an I-Phone, an I Pad, an Apple Computer, and an I-Pod, all of which I do not own yet. Someday, I hope to purchase some of these items and to have an even greater appreciation of Steve Jobs and his extraordinary abilities.

As I have read news articles on this acommplished man, and watched eulogies of his life, I have a great admiration for him. His life has and will inspire many. There are several quotes from his commencement speech at Stanford University that are particularly profound to me. They are as follows:

"Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose."

"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary."

"Remembering that I'll be dead soon is the most important tool I've ever encountered to help me make the big choices in life, Because almost everything - all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure - these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important."

He has taught me to live in the moment. Be yourself. Do not fear rejection, or failure, and live each moment as if it were your last.

We have learned a lot from this brilliant man, his legacy lives on.

0 comments: