Husband and Father

Husband and Father
July 15, 1958 ~ August 25, 2008

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Missing Him


Lake Como ~ Italy
Flaming Gorge with the Girls'
Hunting with Mike
The Outdoors with Ben
Some days are so difficult, all you can do is just put one foot in front of the other. It is one of those days. It has been two years since the passing of my wonderful husband, and my children’s father. Time has not healed my broken heart.

It has been a very emotional day for me. I couldn't seem to pull it together today.

I was listening to the girls’ play their harps, and became so overcome with emotion. They were playing primary songs that are tender and dear to me. Harp music is heavenly to me. I keep thinking that there must be harpist playing angelic music on fluffy white clouds in heaven. Maybe it’s not exactly like that. Maybe it's just my imagination or my subconscious desire. I hope there is at least some kind of music in heaven.

I remember 2 years ago tonight when I was playing hymns on the piano waiting for Steve to change and come downstairs for dinner, when I heard, “Cindy, come quick, I’m not feeling so well.” I ran to the stairs and saw Steve’s frightened face as he quickly instructed us to call 911, and hobbled down the stairs. I yelled for Meagan to come help. She at least had some medical training. We made him comfortable at the bottom of the stairs, and talked to him, until the EMT’s arrived. Steve continued to give us instructions, and told us who to call and what to do. He wanted a priesthood blessing.

When the EMT’s arrived things took a turn for the worse. We were all quickly ushered into the kitchen, while they worked on Steve. We gathered together, as I prayed with all my heart with my children that all would be well. I think I was selfishly praying for what I wanted, rather than the Lord’s will. I wanted so desperately for Steve to be alright. I couldn't imagine life without him. I have never felt so frightened and helpless in my whole life.

At the hospital Steve received a priesthood blessing. I couldn't go in. They would only allow two people back at a time. I'm not sure what was said, but Steve's received his final wish, a priesthood blessing. I desperately wanted a miracle, but it was not to be. It states in D&C 42:48 “And again, it shall come to pass that he that hath faith in me to be healed, and is not appointed unto death, shall be healed.” I have to believe that it was his time to move on.

Even though I have faith, and a strong belief system, it is still difficult. I keep hoping and wishing that he would walk through the door and come home. We miss him every day. I am grateful to know that this is a temporary separation, and that we will be with again.

6 comments:

I am Laura said...

I know I can't say anything to help you feel better. Just know that you have lots of people that love you. I think you are so strong. I will be thinking of you today.

Emily Hamilton said...

This post made me cry. Those pictures are so sweet! Steve is someone that people will always remember. He is an incredible man. I can't imagine going through what you are experiencing, that would be the hardest thing. We were thinking about you guys all day yesterday and have been this week. We love you!

eden said...

Even after 2 years it is hard to believe he is gone. I love you, just as I know so many of us do. He definitely lives in the hearts of my family and the many, many people he served so well.

linda said...

What a touching post. Looking at your photos made me cry (but that's okay!). I'm amazed at how you've carried on with life and done so many fun things as a family. I'm sure Steve is so proud of you.
Your family is very lucky to have you as their mom...

Marianne Peck said...

This was such a beautiful post. You are such an inspiration to me. Life throws different challenges are way, and you are a great example to me in the way you have handled yours. Your strength, faith, love, spirituality are amazing. Even though we don't talk much I will always consider you one of my dearest friends. I love you, Marianne

Lisa said...

hello again! it is lisa richardson (former ward member long ago and leslie's sister). i don't think i had read on here how it all happened. how traumatic. i'm so sorry. i so appreciate your perspective on things. and although you must have your weak & emotional times, you seem so strong. our nephew david (higginson) will be a sophomore at bountiful high school this year. maybe he and your son will know each other. also...your daughter that is a senior is the one that i taught in primary 13 years ago. wow. my oldest, caroline, is in 6th grade this year...may you and your family continue to be comforted and blessed.

~lisa