Husband and Father

Husband and Father
July 15, 1958 ~ August 25, 2008

Friday, February 19, 2010

A Suttle Reminder

Today I was driving through the intersection of 2600 South and Highway 89 in Bountiful, when I came upon a very minor fender bender. Those involved were traveling the opposite direction of me. Traffic had slowed as spectators as well as those involved got out of their cars to assess the situation. My heart sunk as I watched a man open the driver's door and realize something was definitely wrong with the driver. I saw the sheer terror in his face, as he was shouting and cars began to stop to help. I knew the situation was not good.

I continued past the accident, and realized I needed gas, or I wasn't going to make it to my appointment in Holladay. I pulled into the Chevron gas station, only to find that I couldn't concentrate. It was crowded, and I felt completely overwhelmed just trying to get gas. I finally decided to go to a less crowded gas station up the road. I had to pass the scene of the accident again. I was the last car they let through, before police and other emergency vehicles blocked it off. As I was stopped at a red light, I saw a police officer administering CPR in the median to the person from the car that was hit.

Tears started streaming down my face as I watched in horror, remembering the night Steve passed away and the gruesome attempts made by the EMT's to save his life. I felt physically sick as I thought of the sadness and heart break this family was feeling or was going to feel. I am hoping their outcome was good, but the accident scene did not look that way.

I got gas and thought about going home and pulling the covers over my head. The appointment was not a necessary one. I decided instead to continue. When I got to my appointment, a sweet young girl in her 30's helped me. I sat down and thought I was going to burst into tears. I couldn't get the scene from earlier out of my mind, that triggered other emotions from the past. Somehow, this young girl and I began talking about what I had seen and how it had affected me. She began to tell me her own story.

Her dad died in a car accident when he was 34. Her mother had 6 children from the ages of one month to 14 years old. She was the oldest child in the family. She shared with me her perspective of loosing a father as a child. She described the challenges, and struggles that she went through personally. She also described the strength and perseverance that she had been blessed with. I began to understand more clearly what my own children must have felt and must be feeling.

Her sister was 3 when her dad passed away. She described the separation anxiety and difficult time she had gone through. Her mom had to go to preschool with her every day to ease her anxieties. She told me how this sister had grown into an amazing adult. I needed to hear that. I needed to feel hope that some of the situations I am currently experiencing will end positively.

She mentioned the gift of priesthood blessings in her life, and how much that had helped her mom and her family. She shared how much the gospel had strengthen them and buoyed them up. She shared their feelings, their grief, their difficulties, their struggles, and their strengths with me. I felt comfort knowing that I don't walk this path alone.

She gave me a big hug when I left. Two strangers, sharing experiences, strengthening, and buoying each other up. I believe it was a tender mercy to meet her today.

3 comments:

Suzie said...

What a beautiful story...thanks so much for allowing us all a peek into what happened, your feelings, and this wonderufl gal you met. You are an amazing woman and we are so blessed to know you and to benefit from your sharing you experiences through your blog. Thanks for being such an inspiration!

linda said...

Cindy, Chris also saw this accident when he was taking his daughter to dance...
Accidents of any kind are upsetting, but I can imagine this one was horrible for you to see.
Thank heaven for people who truly love their "neighbor"...

MOM THE BOMB said...

you have so many angels around you. and you are an angel yourself! Love you!