Husband and Father

Husband and Father
July 15, 1958 ~ August 25, 2008

Saturday, May 9, 2009

Baseball Story

The Rebels have played most of their baseball games on Cate Field at Salt Lake Community College in West Jordan. Ben is an avid baseball fan and loves to go to every game with me to watch his brother. Last Friday night Michael had a game. It was cold and rainy, but as faithful baseball fans, Ben and I went anyway. We were prepared with blankets and an unbrella.

When we got to the baseball stadium the weather took a turn for the worse. It started pouring rain. I quickly pulled out my pink unbrella to get out of the rain. I told Ben to join me underneath away from the elements. Ben took one look at the pink unbrella and said, "I am not going under a PINK unbrella." I couldn't believe that he would choose to sit out in the rain in his hoody rather than protect himself against the elements with a pink unbrella. The game was called after only one inning.

After we left the ball field, we decided to check things out at the Castle Sports Authority in Murray. Michael and Ben needed new baseball helmets. It was like walking into a candy store for Ben. When he saw all the equipment he began adding to his list of things he "needed". He decided he wanted a catcher's helmet. I knew Ben didn't need it, but he insisted that he did. He begged and begged me to buy it. He began wearing me down, so I resorted to "alternative reasoning". I told him that you had to have a note from your baseball coach stating that you were playing the position of catcher to be able to purchase a catcher's helmet. He questioned me and said that they were kids on his team that had them and didn't get a note. I told him to give me their names and I would turn them in. Still testing the validity of reponse he asked the sales clerk. I quickly got the sales clerk attention so I could give him a quick wink so that my reasoning could be validated. Ben finally gave up on the catcher's helmet when the sales clerk confirmed my story. Even without the catcher's helemet we had numerous purchases, and yes, a BLACK unbrella was among them.

3 comments:

MOM THE BOMB said...

Your "Ben stories" always make my day.

Ashley Erin said...

That story doesn't surprise me at all.

Emily Hamilton said...

I luv Ben. His stories always make me smile.

Good luck with the wedding this week. We will be thinking about you! Meagan will be a gorgeous bride!