Husband and Father

Husband and Father
July 15, 1958 ~ August 25, 2008

Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Thankful

Thanksgiving is a time when we give Thanks for the blessings we have.  This year I am particularly grateful for my two missionaries.  They are braving the elements of Alaska, and Vanuatu to spread the gospel of Jesus Christ.

Mike is in Bethel that is only accessible by Ferry or Plane.  It is in a remote part of Alaska where water has to be transported in, and filtered to drink.  The temperatures have recently been dropping into the -60's.  He and his companion bundle up to visit their investigators.  He thinks they look like astronauts walking around town.  They have a golf ball to knock on the doors, it is too cold to remove your hands from your gloves.

Kate is serving in Whitesands, Tanna.  It is a small island in Vanuatu that stays in the 80's usually year round.  Although the island is beautiful and warm, she is living in a small hut with no electricity,  no running water, and no indoor plumbing. Her living conditions are bleak to say the least.

Although each of my missionaries living conditions are not the best, the are very happy.

Each time I turn on the water, I remember my daughter doesn't have running water, and make sure I don't waste the water.  When we sit down to eat, I think about the abundance of food we have, while others have barley enough to eat.

One thing I have learned, no what your circumstances, you can choose to be happy.

I am grateful…..we are truly blessed.

Kate fixing dinner.
Kate's hut.