Husband and Father

Husband and Father
July 15, 1958 ~ August 25, 2008

Sunday, December 1, 2013

Music

Music is important in our home.  Everyone is encouraged, maybe a little forced, to play some kind of musical instrument.  I must say, it hasn't been easy over the years encouraging kids to practice, but it is worth it.

In Elder Brown's email he says, "Since a lot of branches out here don't have anyone who can play the piano I've gotten really into it! Yea mom, you were right alright? I regret not practicing when I was younger like I was supposed to. So Ben and Lizzy... PRACTICE THE PIANO!!! Especially the hymns. Don't be like me and regret not doing it."

Mike has been playing the hymns for his branch in Kenia.  He took piano until the 9th grade, and was fortunately good enough to play on his mission.  I don't require that my kids are concert pianist, but I do require them to be able to at least play the hymns.

Ben has taken Mike's words of wisdom to heart and has already learned some hymns.  They are not even simplified.  He practices the piano a lot.  Not with a timer on, and a mother scolding him, just whenever he wants, which seems to be a lot.

Lizzy is back to the harp.  Oh, how I love the harp!  I could sit in a room with harp music playing all day listening to the angelic music.

Christmas Harp Recital
Piano Duet Recital

0 comments: