Husband and Father

Husband and Father
July 15, 1958 ~ August 25, 2008

Friday, November 22, 2013

The Incident

Several months ago Lizzy visited an Allergist, who did skin tests as well as blood tests to determine all of her allergies.  We were surprised to learn of all the things she is allergic to.  At the appointment, we learned she was allergic to all nuts except Brazilian nuts.  She was told to NEVER eat nuts period.

Sunday at church, during the sacrament, Lizzy turned to me with a strange look, scratching her legs, informing me that she was getting hives.  I thought that maybe she was having an allergic reaction to the Sacrament bread.  As we were whispering back and forth, Ben informed me that she had put peanut butter or her waffle for breakfast/lunch.  Knowing now exactly what was happening, I asked our family doctor who was sitting in front of us, if I should apply the EpiPen or go home and give her Benadryl.  He thought that Benadryl would be adequate.

At home, Benadryl and Allegra were given.  She seemed fine for awhile, and then the hives began to spread.  I gave her more Benadryl making her VERY tired.  She slept with an EpiPen in her hand while I ran back and forth from Young Women's to home.  She missed our Evening of Excellence, and slept until morning. Poor girl, I think she learned an important lesson today.

2 comments:

MOM THE BOMB said...

When in doubt, use the epipen. They work fast! There is a new one called Auvi-Q that doesn't have a big needle, you just press it against their thigh, and it injects the medication. They practically giving them away right now trying to promote them.

linda said...

She was missed at Young Women in Excellence! I'm just glad she's okay-no more peanut butter for that girl...