Husband and Father

Husband and Father
July 15, 1958 ~ August 25, 2008

Sunday, November 24, 2013

"I Will Not Fail Thee, Nor Forsake Thee"

In Elder Brown's email a couple weeks ago he talked about the strength he received from a talk given by President Monson in October's General Conference titled, I Will Not Fail Thee.  In his email he states, "Last night when I was at the lowest low I've had yet, I started to read President Monson's talk from this last conference and he said something that really stuck out to me.


"Our Heavenly Father, who gives us so much to delight in, also knows that we learn and grow and 
become stronger as we face and survive the trials through which we must pass. We know that there
 are times when we will experience heartbreaking sorrow, when we will grieve, and when we may
 be tested to our limits. However, such difficulties allow us to change for the better, to rebuild our 
lives in the way our Heavenly Father teaches us, and to become something different from what we 
were—better than we were, more understanding than we were, more empathetic than we were,
 with stronger testimonies than we had before."

After that he recited a poem that I memorized and really have grown to love! It goes like this

"Good timber does not grow with ease,
The stronger wind, the stronger trees.
The further sky, the greater length.
The more the storm, the more the strength.
By sun and cold, by rain and snow,
In trees and men good timbers grow."

As I read that it really reminded me of our family and everything that we've had to go through. Despite all of it, it's made us stronger and resilient to any trials that come our way. After reading this talk it made me look at everything that I've already been through in this life and laugh at what I'm now facing. It's nothing. I'm thankful for all of the trials I've been able to face and to overcome because I know that it's made and is making me into the person and missionary I know I can become."

After receiving Mike's heart warming email we had a Family Home Evening on this talk.  I encouraged the kids to read and re-read the talks from General Conference written in the Ensign.  These words are modern day scripture for us. We listened to the beautiful and insightful talk by President Monson.

I have sent multiple copies to Sister Brown in Vanuatu.  She told me that most people don't even know what Conference is.  She was so excited to receive them, and be able to teach the people from the words of our Prophet, and many others. She said the people were so glad to be able to hear the words of the prophets.

I have my own copy of the Ensign that I keep by my bed to read at night.  Ben took our other copy and has been reading it and highlighting it.  I think because his brother, who admires so much, talked about President Monson's talk in his email, Ben is especially interested in it.  He memorized the poem, and brought his copy of the Ensign to church with his scriptures.

In church today we had Ward Conference.  Bishop Eyring spoke on the trials that each one of us have or will have in life, and through holding strong to the gospel and through faith in the Lord Jesus Christ our burdens will be lightened.

President Taylor spoke about President Monson's talk, I Will Not Fail Thee, Nor Forsake Thee.  Which is another reminder of enduring our burdens well.

President Eyring ended the meeting with his beautiful testimony about how in the end, the most important thing for us to remember is that our Redeemer Lives.

I felt so blessed to be in church today.  The spirit was so strong. What amazing influences for good we have in our ward, and what a special blessing it is to have President Eyring in our ward.

Since the talk from President Monson was brought to my attention so many times during these past few weeks, I have to believe it was NOT just a coincidence.  My heart is full.

1 comments:

Emily Hamilton said...

Thanks for this. Mike is awesome! I love how Ben carried around the Ensign and his scriptures. You guys have one amazing family.