Husband and Father

Husband and Father
July 15, 1958 ~ August 25, 2008

Sunday, February 10, 2013

Stranger Danger

Action movies, and television drama series such as Castle and NCIS, are among my favorite sources of media viewing.  The process of investigating crimes is fascinating to me.  From the lighthearted Castle, to the more intense NCIS, they both grab my attention. Anything more intense than NCIS is just too scary for me.

My love for criminial investigative movies has increased my fear of ‘stranger danger’. This can be a good thing, but sometimes it is down right embarrassing.


Monday afternoon was full of the regular “mom” duties.  I was watching Mason, who had just had a “blowout” whom I was bathing in the sink.  Lizzy just returned from school battling another sinus infection. I had a doctor appointment for her at 4 and was preparing to go.

As we were leaving, Ben returned from school. He scurried through door, dropped his backpack on the floor, and insisted on playing with a friend before homework.  In my vulerable state, I acquiesced.  For some crazy reason I expected him to follow the rules of playing with friends.  You know, the simple rules, such as call before you go somewhere, or have someone over.

Upon my return from the doctor’s, I called around the house for Ben.  He answered from the basement.  I assumed he was playing alone and didn’t give it another thought.

I was making dinner around 5:30, when the doorbell rang.  When I answered it, there stood a young looking man, in his 20 to 30’s, with longer blonde curly hair, wearing a U of U hoody.  He asked, “Is Corbin here?”  Remembering my favorite shows and all I have learned from them, I quickly assured him there was no Corbin here. 

Believing that his next move would be to push the door open, disclose a handgun from the pocket of his hoody, and hold us all hotage, I began closing the door a little at a time.  “Is this 1460?” he inquired.  Still not falling for this stranger's tatics, I said no, slammed the door in his face, and locked it behind him. I quickly ran to the garage to make sure it was shut.  It was wide open, so I closed the garage and locked every door to the house, ensuring the safety of my family. 

About 15 minutes later, as I was proudly accessing my efforts to save my family from the stranger, the telephone rang.  When I answered it a man said, “Is my son Corbin there playing with Ben?” I could feel the heat rising to my face turning it a shade of red, as I realized I had just slammed the door in Ben’s play date's dad’s face.  My apology did not seem enough.  The ‘stranger’ on the other end seemed unaffected by my sincere apology.

After I had summoned Corbin from my basement to his waiting dad in the driveway, I had a sturn talk with Ben.  “Why didn’t you tell me you had a friend over?” I barked. “I told you, I was going to play, mom.” He stated matter-of-factly.

Will Corbin be new friend, or old friend? I guess we'll wait and see!

0 comments: