Husband and Father

Husband and Father
July 15, 1958 ~ August 25, 2008

Thursday, February 28, 2013

Mike's Mission Call

I bake or clean when I get stressed. Wednesday, 3 days after Kate opened her mission call, I woke up thinking Mike's was coming today. I started baking. Probably a little too much, but that's what I do. The kids kept telling me, it might not be today, but I kept baking. 

Our mail comes late in the afternoon. Mike had been in and out (wonder if he cleared that with the attendance office), checking to see if the mail had arrived. Around 2:00, while Mike was at school, or so I thought, I sent Kate out to check for mail. She came in empty handed. Little did we know, that Mike had stalked the mail carrier. He waited in the truck for her to arrived grabbed his big white envelope right before Kate went out to check the mail. He then called me to tell me what time to expect our guests. I was a little apprehensive to ask Steve's family to come up again, but Mike wanted everyone there. They were good sports to come twice in one week.

I know how badly Mike wanted to be called to the Anchorage, Alaska mission.  That is the same mission that his dad served in years ago.  Every time someone would mention him being called to that particular mission, I would cringe.  I knew had much he wanted to serve there, but really, what were the odds. I didn't want him to be disappointed.

I can't explain the incredible spirit that was there when he opened his call.  It's as if the heavens were open for a brief moment.  We felt such love, peace, and contentment .  Our special angel must have been there smiling upon us. Tears were shed by many, as we listened to him state that he had been called to the Anchorage, Alaska mission.  He will be leaving July 10th, right after Kate.

We couldn't be more excited for this cute boy!  I am so proud of him, and love him so much!  What a great kid he is!

Mike and I.
Treats
Mike wouldn't let anyone guess Alaska.  He thought it would jinx him.  So Grandpa and I guessed Canada, pretty close.
The mission call.
The crowd.
Grandma and Grandpa with Mike.
Our family.
Relatives
Friends

4 comments:

Bexie Funk said...

that's quite a busy week! so excited for him!

MOM THE BOMB said...

What a sweet experience for your family! He'll be a wonderful missionary.

Ashley Erin said...

When I got called to Provo UT, I seriously wondered if mission calls were inspired. Mind changed! :). So happy for him!

Emily Hamilton said...

He is going to be such an amazing missionary. How cool that he is going to Alaska!