Husband and Father

Husband and Father
July 15, 1958 ~ August 25, 2008

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Welcome 2013

One of our family's New Year's Resolutions is to become healthier through food and exercise.  I know this sounds like a cliche, but with my family in particular it is important.  I learned over the holiday, how genetic heart disease is in Steve's family.  I knew about some, but had no idea that not only did his mother's father (Steve's grandfather) die suddenly of a heart attack, but so did Steve's grandfather's brothers.

Steve's brother, Jeff is acutely aware of this, and has made impressive changes to his physical wellness.  He has significantly reduced his weight and cholesterol.  He is very strict about the food he eats, and the amount of exercise he gets.  It has made a great difference in his health. We will not be AS strict with our new diet, but hope to make a few positive changes.

Since, I cook for my family, I feel a great responsibility to cook a little healthier.  I want to take little steps at first, hoping that we will progressively make better choices.  I have found a web site that I have enjoyed cooking from.  Not everything is cooked with whole grain.  Sometimes, I substitute with whole grain, and other times I stick with the original recipe.  Like I said, baby steps! The kids have LOVED everything I have made so far, so here is hoping for some healthier eating!
New Year's Day - Out with the Old.....
.....and in with the new.  
This is a crock pot recipe from the web-site.  Slow cooker chicken and black bean tacos, served with brown rice, wheat tortilla, and apples.  My kids loved it!

2 comments:

MOM THE BOMB said...

Good for you! ( I want your recipe)

Ashley Erin said...

I should do the same. Landon has bad family history. I asked him what his fav veggies are and he said "corn, potatoes, beans". I have an uphill battle.