Husband and Father

Husband and Father
July 15, 1958 ~ August 25, 2008

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

School Break

The kids seem to have a lot of breaks from school this year.  Some are planned, and some (such as snow days) are not.  I don't mind!  I really enjoy having them around.  I am always up for a fun activity, or just a lazy day.

This past weekend they had Monday and Tuesday off.  Monday for Martin Luther King Day, and Tuesday for Teacher Prep Day (or end of term bonus day).  Monday I decided to take the two younger kids up to Brighton Ski Resort for ski lessons.  Kate got them all organized and ready the night before for the big day.  Unfortunately, Ben had another plan, and ended up staying home, so Lizzy went to ski school without him.

What a gorgeous day it was!  The sun was shining brightly, the air was fresh and pollution free, and the landscape was serene.  I love the beauty of the canyons!  It is just break taking to me!  How fortunate we are to live minutes from some of the finest canyons around.

Lizzy is considered an adult in ski school.  She enjoyed watching adults flounder down the mountain.  At the end of her lesson I asked her how she thought her lesson went.  She said, "It was great, until I got going down the mountain and realized I forgot how to stop and plowed down a toddler."  How can a person 'forget' how to stop, and if you do, don't you just lean into the mountain and sit rather than run down a toddler?  The good part was that the toddler thought it was funny - no harm done.

Tuesday, I ditched the kids and went to a movie with a friend.  I saw the movie Impossible.  It is a true story of a Spanish family's experience of the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami.   It is a movie I definitely don't want my kids to see.  They have seen enough tragedy in their life. Besides that, remember how we like beach vacations?  Well, I can only imagine how at least one person in our family would react after watching this.  Even though I enjoyed the movie, it was a little disturbing to me, and gave me nightmares.  Next time, I'm choosing a much happier movie to watch for sure!

Yay for breaks!

Brighton Ski School

3 comments:

Ashley Erin said...

Brighton is the first place I skied. Grandma went with me and fell down the mountain...a lot!

browniemom said...

I cannot believe Grandma ever skied!

Laura said...

She is so beautiful. I have never been skiing. I may be one of those adults in the class she laughed at very soon!!!