Husband and Father

Husband and Father
July 15, 1958 ~ August 25, 2008

Sunday, July 22, 2012

Lizards

Ben, Ella, James, Brad and Audrey, loved looking for lizards in the camp grounds before dinner. They were very successful with their lizard hunting. Fortunately, Brad had brought ‘lizard lodging’ for the little critter. I’m not sure how this went down, but they let all the captured lizards go, except one. Were all the mom’s secretly plotting to get rid of the lizards before leaving the Gorge? Was it a ruse against me? One mom leaned over at the end of the trip and quietly whispered, “Don’t worry, they don’t last long.” The one remaining lizard became our new pet ‘George From The Gorge’.

I must admit, I’m not like my sister (see photo below). When Ben let George out when we got home, and he got lost in my room, I was screaming and standing on a chair. Wimp, yes, I know, and I don’t care. I don’t like lizards or bugs. Ben was frantically running around looking for his lizard. As he turned I saw George on his back. “He’s on your back”, I scream from on top of my chair.

Ben has been an exceptional pet owner to George. He used his creative juices to find a way to heat his new habitat. He has been earning money to buy live crickets (that’s what George likes) from Pet Co. (.15 a piece). One day, we had just returned home from buying George’s food, when Ben noticed a problem. “Mom, I bought six crickets, laid the bag on the floor, fed George one, and now I have four.” (Remember my dislike for bugs, and lizards.) “What,” I barked. “You better find the lost cricket.” Five minutes later, all bugs were accounted for.

Phew! This lizard thing is getting emotionally exhausting!

Ben, James, Ella, Brad and Audrey
Ben caring for George from the Gorge.
My Sister in Belize.

2 comments:

linda said...

What a good sport you are! Now if that would have been a snake he wanted to bring home, the story would have a different ending!!

Emily Hamilton said...

I'm glad you found the other cricket, that would have made for a loooong night. Haha. My brothers were into snakes for a while and caught one, then accidentally lost it in the house. We found it while doing laundry. Hopefully Ben doesn't get into snakes next. ;)