Husband and Father

Husband and Father
July 15, 1958 ~ August 25, 2008

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Procrastination

Thanksgiving Eve day is here, the preparation for the Thanksgiving Feast begins. Men and women begin to flutter about the kitchen baking their famous rolls or pies, and assembling traditional salads or side dishes.

This Thanksgiving Eve I should be baking specialty pies. Instead, last night I decided to be L-A-Z-Y and have the Lion House bake my pies. When I called to place my order, the young man laughed a little and said, “Special orders are now closed. However, you may come by tomorrow before 10, get in line, and your requests will be handled on a first-come-first-serve basis.”

My “special order” was meager, but we still ventured out this morning to purchase the delicious, and famous, Lion House pies. Lizzy and I were pleased to be first in line, as we watched the line expand to the street.

Today, among other things, I am grateful for: Free parking downtown and delightful, homemade pies from the Lion House Pantry.
Baking wasn’t a complete bust; Lizzy couldn’t have Thanksgiving without making Grandma Brown’s famous molasses Turkey Cookies. They turned out just like Grandma’s, delicious!.
Today I decided our family should involve ourselves in some service this Thanksgiving. I called the Rescue Mission to inquire about serving food on Thanksgiving Day to the homeless. It warmed my heart to hear that the non-procrastinators were signed up and ready to serve. The list for volunteers was full.

Instead our family took a turkey down to the Salt Lake Food Bank. While at the Food Bank, I was impressed again, as I watched several groups of volunteers come to assist. I love to watch the goodness of others. Mike and the Varsity Bountiful High Basketball team will be serving the residences at South Davis Community Hospital on Friday. What a great group of young men.

I am thankful for many things, but this year especially thankful for the goodness of humanity.

0 comments: