Husband and Father

Husband and Father
July 15, 1958 ~ August 25, 2008

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Canning

Memories of my mother canning are very clear in my mind. As a little girl, I remember my mom spending countless hours processing all the harvest from my Grandfather’s farm in Millcreek. If it wasn’t bottled, it was frozen, or juiced. From fresh corn, succulent tomatoes, and healthy grape juice, the list went on.

Canning was a necessity at my house. It was mostly what we lived off during the winter months. Many a Friday night we would wonder what would be served for dinner. Out of money and food, with only food storage available, we would have noodles topped with the tomatoes that had been bottled.

I have not embraced canning. I enjoy making salsa with our “salsa group” each year, but other than that, I think canning is a chore. I had to ask myself many times this year, why am I canning? Am I out to impress someone? Show myself I can do something? Provide for my family?  Am I out of my mind? When I answered "no" to all of those questions (except the latter), I decided maybe I love having (what I consider to be) fresh fruits and vegetables in the winter. Canned produce and fruits may do, but they are not as delicious and healthy (well they seem healthier) than bottled. And salsa cannot be replicated through store purchases.

There is nothing as good as Uncle Scott’s salsa. Scott’s parents, Scott and I, and our kids help with the process. We were really happy to have Aunt Jen around this year. It was a real party. I learned from last year while making salsa to wear gloves when handling garlic. Who would have thought that your hands would burn for hours after handling dozens of garlics? We had to google how to stop the burning. This year I came prepared.

I entice my children to help on salsa day with the promise that Uncle Scott will make his famous hot dogs. We have dogs, and fresh salsa for lunch. Yum!

Pettingills Produce provided me with my tomatoes and fruit to make frozen strawberry jam, bottled peaches, marinaria sauce and diced tomatoes. People come from Montanna, Wyoming, and other far away places, to make their produce purchases. I love to drive up to this little produce stand, and look around at all the beautiful fruits and vegetables.  Maybe that is what excites me about canning.

Meg came over for a bit to help me with the peaches and jam, and to learn a thing or two. I really needed her help. Peeling peaches, and sugar water became quite a task. After cleaning up, and still having a YW leader stick to my counter that night, I began to wonder if the sugar water would ever go away.

I may not be the “Queen” of canning, but I must say, I have beautiful bottles of fruits and vegetables lining the shelves in my storage room. Hopefully, my kids will enjoy them, this winter and it will be worth the effort.

Making Salsa
The Salsa Crew
Pettingills Fruit and Produce
Strawberry Jam, Peaches, Marinara, and Diced Tomatoes

2 comments:

Laura said...

Send some my way! I used to make jam and I canned a bit too when we lived in Ohio and Fort Wayne. I feel like that old me is gone. I have no desire to do it. Maybe when I have a kitchen that has space I will be up to it, but maybe when I move back to Utah I can just join your crew! Looks like so much fun with family.

And those peaches look so yummy. Makes me homesick for home. Peaches makes me feel I am sitting in my moms kitchen. Makes me almost not want to eat them away from home.

linda said...

29Very impressive! I also have great memories of my mom canning all kinds of things-peaches, pears, tomatoes, tomato juice, chili sauce, even ketchup! I also remember my grandma's food storage room-I loved going down there to see the rows of colorful fruit in jars all lined up. My favorites were the cherries...
Maybe someday I'll get inspired!