Husband and Father

Husband and Father
July 15, 1958 ~ August 25, 2008

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Let Not Your Heart Be Troubled

I know there are many who have lost a loved one, I am not alone in the grief process. I have been inspired, by woman, some I know only through blogging, some by introductions by friends, of their strength through their this process. What I have learned, is while there are many ways in which we are similar in the way we grieve; we are also unique and individual, and experience grief in different ways. A young widow describes her grief in this article. Another mother shares her thoughts titled When Someone You Love Is Bereaved in her side bar on her blog.

We are all in different places in the grieving journey. Some of us are further along the path, and others may have experienced bumps both large and small along the way. Wherever we are, and whatever we are feeling at this moment, it is important to respect where each person is in their journey. Though this journey may be a difficult one, it is nice to know that it is people and our faith that makes the journey bearable.

A speaker at Steve's funeral talked about the importance of people in our lives. People who would serve us, but more importantly people with whom we should serve. We were encouraged to serve and be mindful of others. His advice was, as we prayed for others, served others, particularly those in our family, our grief would be lightened, and we would feel comforted by the Holy Ghost. We would find joy not only by those serving us, but by us serving others. By keeping the commandments, praying, and serving others we were promised the comforter. I am grateful to be able to feel the comforter in my life.

He also taught us from the scripture John 14:27, "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid." We will not be left comfortless.

The passing of my spouse has been the most difficult trial I have been through. It was not in my plan, and has been hard for me to accept. When put my trust in the Lord, and embrace his plan, I have feel peace and comfort.

Many times we wonder how we can possible get through such a tragedy. Another scripture touched upon in his address was D & C , Section 42. Paraphrasing, it states that, those that have faith to be healed and not appointed unto death, shall be healed. No worthy man dies before his time. This has given me great comfort, at such a difficult time.

Grief is a continuing journey. It ebbs and flows. The level of sorrow may lessen as time passes, but it will never completely go away. There will always be reminders of our loss, memories of an amazing father, husband, friend, bishop, colleague, and family member. I always want to keep those memories alive.

Someday I might be as brave as these other woman and write about specifics about bereavement, however, for now, I am still learning and observing.

2 comments:

MOM THE BOMB said...

You're VERY brave! And amazing!

Emily Hamilton said...

I agree with Susan. I really look up to you. You're so strong.