Husband and Father

Husband and Father
July 15, 1958 ~ August 25, 2008

Monday, April 6, 2009

Morning Aroma

This morning I awoke to the smell of Steve's cologne. It is my favorite men's cologne fragrance that I had given to him for Father's Day. I was still waking up and resting with my eyes closed. For a brief moment I was wishing, and hoping, that I could roll over and find Steve laying next to me. When I realized Steve was not next to me, I thought that maybe the aroma was coming from the liens. I knew that they had been washed several times since Steve has been gone, and that wasn't the answer either.

When I went to bed only one child was sleeping with me. The kids like to sleep with me when they are scared, sick, or in need of comfort. As I rolled over, I realized little Ben had climbed in bed with me some time during the night. The great aroma of Steve's cologne was coming from Ben. I didn't want to embarrass him, so I said nothing about his cologne.

Later today, I went exploring to see what I could find. I found a bottle of Steve's cologne tucked in between Ben's toy chest, and the wall. Last month I gave Steve's shaving bag to Michael to pack his toiletries in to travel with. I guess Ben wanted something of his Dad's too.

5 comments:

Foster Mom said...

That made me cry. I want you to know that I still think and pray for you daily! We love you!!

MOM THE BOMB said...

So cute - and sad at the same time. My heart aches for all of you.

Stefanie and Jeff said...

Cindy!
This was the sweetest story ever! How precious your children are and how lucky I am that I was able to work with Sarah for a few years! You are one fantastic mom and I think about you and how you are doing all the time, in fact I thought of you during some of the past conference talks! Please let me know if there is ever anything I can do for you guys.
Stefanie Bowen

Britney said...

That is such a cute story.

Becky said...

I love this story. I'm sorry it wasn't Steve next to you.