Husband and Father

Husband and Father
July 15, 1958 ~ August 25, 2008

Saturday, April 12, 2014

Happy Birthday Sister Brown

This cute girl celebrated her 21st birthday in Malekua, Vanuata this year. This will be the one and only birthday celebrated  in the mission field.  She told me that in Vanuatu they don't celebrate birthdays because most people don't know when they were born.  Fortunately, she was in Port Vila for training on her birthday, and was treated to an ice-cream cone by another Sister Missionary.

She loved her new birthday pillowcases and especially all the treats.  The kids went wild when they saw all the candy.  This is what she had to say:

"Thank you too much for all the birthday wishes!  I officially feel old. I love my singing birthday card, and the birthday pillowcases are absolutely adorable! You always send creative things. I am glad that now that I am, 21 I wont be carted off to prison when I get home. I was a little worried there for a second. Police hate me for some reason.Thank you too much for sending all my taxes in...haha I am already wanted by the police when I get home as is, so thank you for not making it the FBI too!"

Sister Brown had received a speeding ticket, and plead abeyance to keep in good standing. That means you have to go 6 months without another traffic violation or the ticket comes back, and you are in trouble. Weeks before she left on her mission she got another ticket, voiding her abeyance pleading.  Funny thing, she forgot to mention this important thing to her mother before leaving on her mission.

One day a constable came to my home, served me papers, that demanded that Katelyn and her parents appear in court.  Of course that wasn't possible in many ways, so I called the Hearing Officer.  She wanted to have a telephone conversation with Sister Brown.  Since she was on the island of Tana at the time, and a telephone conversation was impossible, the officer was lenient, and let it go.  She told me to tell Sister Brown not to drive on her mission, and that since she was turning 21 soon her allowable traffic points would increase and clear the problem up.  We are glad that Sister Brown is now 21.

I miss this girl like crazy.  She is so vivacious, funny, and keeps us all in line.  We called her "the Boss", in Vanuatu they call her 'the Chief'.  Whatever, you choose, she is full of life adventure, service, and has become a spiritual giant.  I am sure Vanuatu won't be the same place when she is through there.  Lover her!

I am sure I have posted this picture several times, but she rarely is able to send pictures, so this is as good as it gets!

1 comments:

MOM THE BOMB said...

Happy Birthday to Kate! Sounds like she is doing fabulous! So proud of her!