Husband and Father

Husband and Father
July 15, 1958 ~ August 25, 2008

Friday, November 26, 2010

To Grandmother's House We Go...

Grandma Brown asked everyone to bring a plate of cookies to Thanksgiving dinner, along with their main dish/dessert assignment. I was asked to bring my peanut butter surprise cookies.

I made them the night before, and put a note on them, that said, "Do Not Eat". Instead of complying with my specific instructions, my kids would sneak one, and rearrange the cookies. Instead of a heaping plate of cookies, I brought just a plate of cookies.

They went fast at Grandma's house too. I guess they are irresistible.

The Thanksgiving meal is always delicious!

There are many food traditions, besides the obvious ones, that are unique to only Grandma Browns' Thanksgiving feast. They are: cranberry sauce,(in a special dish that has been passed down for generations); yams with the marshmallow topping (Steve's favorite); and you can't forget the turkey rolls (rolls shaped like turkeys).

The adults love to MINGLE, while the kids find other kinds of entertainment.
The Ping Pong Tournament is another tradition. You are matched up with a partner, and whoever wins moves up in the bracket, until a ping pong champion is produced. I think my relatives underestimated me......I won in the first bracket to my 22 year old nephew Brandon. Yahoo, sorry Brand! I moved up a bracket and won Wayne, a little more relaxing of a game. We had to leave before it was completely over, but I heard through the grapevine that my nephew Dan was the champion.

Dessert consists of pies, pies, and more pies. There were chocolate pies, coconut cream pie, pumpkin pie, and apple pie.

Grandma's famous turkey cookies are the coveted cookies. She also made her yummy homemade fudge, and each family brought a plate of cookies to share.

Lots of food!
We are grateful for family.....

6 comments:

Emily Hamilton said...

Wow! Ben looks awesome in his 'outfit'... very nice. Looks like a great time with your family! That food looks YUMMY!
Happy Thanksgiving!
P.S. Can I get your Peanut Butter Cookie recipe, they look really good? Thanks.

Foster Mom said...

Great's slips are the best dress ups ever!!! I'm sad I missed it, but it doesn't look like there was a seat to spare!!

Melinda May said...

I too would LOVE that recipe! Looks Like Fun.

linda said...

What fun traditions your family has! Your Thanksgiving feast and festivities make ours look B-O-R-I-N-G!!

Leslie said...

sounds like a really fun thanksgiving. i am glad you were with family.

I am Laura said...

recipe?

I love Ben in that getup.