Husband and Father

Husband and Father
July 15, 1958 ~ August 25, 2008

Thursday, November 25, 2010

Thanks & Giving

This week on the early morning Today Show, they featured a segment on Thanks & Giving. What an appropriate way to celebrate the Thanksgiving holiday. The theme was centered on things we are thankful for, and also on giving. I enjoyed watching different people describe what they were thankful for, and learning the art of giving by spending time helping others less fortunate.

Much of the focus was on the St. Jude's Children's Research Hospital. It was so touching watching people's lives being changed, both those receiving service and those giving service. It warmed my heart.

I thought about this theme a lot during this week. I first began to think of all the things I am grateful for. I am so blessed and have so many things to be grateful for, it’s difficult to narrow down my list. Two things in particular that I am grateful for are my children, and for health and strength.

I am blessed with amazing children. Much more is expected of them than other children because of our unique circumstances. Besides the normal kid responsibilities, my kids have some duties that are usually performed by parents. Sometimes you’ll see one of my kids helping another with homework, grocery shopping, carpooling, fulfilling nanny duties, dates with their mom, and the list continues. I admire and love each one of them with all my heart.

I am grateful for health and strength. This year with Sarah’s tumor situation, I became keenly aware of how important health is, and how much we take it for granted. I am so grateful that her health situation had a happy ending, and that we are all healthy and strong.

I wanted to complete the second half of Thanks & Giving, by volunteering somewhere with my children. I must say, it never happened in an organized fashion, but we were able to help out our elderly family friend. She allowed one of my kids to clean her house, one to mow the lawn, run errands for her, take her places, bring her meals, and visit with her. We always love helping her. It brings us so much joy.

I hope that next year my family and I will be able to take more time implementing the giving part of Thanksgiving.

I have so much to be thankful for, especially our wonderful friends and family who continue to support us through our ups and downs. Thank you so much, we love you!

0 comments: